The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

My sweet, beautiful, not so very bright Reba (Jubilee Orpington) has gone broody for the first time. I am a newbie so have no experience with this. It's quite a coincidence that I happen to have 31 purebred BBS Ameraucana eggs and Dominique eggs incubating at the same time.

But as she is actually sitting on nothing in the corner of the coop next to the hatch door and the coop is built above the run, I'm not confident she'd be a good Mom and keep the chicks from falling through our hatch door. (It doesn't close.)

We've been taking her out of the coop continuously since yesterday and locking her our in the afternoon when everyone's done laying eggs.

She doesn't seem to be giving up bit she's not aggressive at all. I don't have the setup for a broody buster and I'm considering just giving her a couple if fertile eggs to see what happens if she's still like this tomorrow.

I may just take the chicks away from her after the first day. Does that upset her? How do you all feel about Jubilee's mothering skills? Anyone have any experience with them hatching their own?!!

Also, as they are on the 2nd floor and I don't have a 2nd run on the ground to move her too.

Lots of questions. I guess I hoped I'd not deal with this for another year or so.
Just give her some eggs. She will make sure they dont fall! She will be fine just make sure you collect eggs a lot so she doesnt decied to take your eatin eggs! She will amke sure the babies are fine! It will take her 3 weeks! Make sure there is food and water near her or she may die of dehydration prolly wont die of no food cause she will get up some times not offen though!

J
Just give her some eggs. She will make sure they dont fall! She will be fine just make sure you collect eggs a lot so she doesnt decied to take your eatin eggs! She will amke sure the babies are fine! It will take her 3 weeks! Make sure there is food and water near her or she may die of dehydration prolly wont die of no food cause she will get up some times not offen though!

Just went outside to open the coop and put her in as it's getting dark and noticed that my Dominique is now missing feathers on her chest. She laid today though. Is it contagious?

I found a local npip breeder who is offering grown trios and quads of English orpingtons. I need help deciding what to buy, he has three of the colors I really want and is only 30 min drive from us!

3 (1 roo 2 hens) buff deleware fancy chick line

3 Isabel (1 roo 2 hens) ewe crazy/fancy chick

4 BBS (1 roo 3 hens) Sacre/fancy chick

I only have room for one more breeding pen and I can't decide! I love all of these varities! Help!

Last edited:
I personally like the Isabel best, but maybe I am biased
wink.png

They are just a really cool color to work with and you can also breed with Crele should you decide to do that in the future.

I personally like the Isabel best, but maybe I am biased ;)
They are just a really cool color to work with and you can also breed with Crele should you decide to do that in the future. 

That is what I'm leaning towards also. I've wanted to start a project toward isabel and with the trio I can start from a much farther jumping off point! But I love blues and already have chocolates that are 'ear marked' for a Mauve project and delewares are just cool lol. I have never seen Isabels in real life, are they as lovely as the pictures make them look? They seem almost incandescent!

That is what I'm leaning towards also. I've wanted to start a project toward isabel and with the trio I can start from a much farther jumping off point! But I love blues and already have chocolates that are 'ear marked' for a Mauve project and delewares are just cool lol. I have never seen Isabels in real life, are they as lovely as the pictures make them look? They seem almost incandescent!

If you have chocolates you should get BBS Mauve are so cool.

My
I found a local npip breeder who is offering grown trios and quads of English orpingtons. I need help deciding what to buy, he has three of the colors I really want and is only 30 min drive from us!

3 (1 roo 2 hens) buff deleware fancy chick line

3 Isabel (1 roo 2 hens) ewe crazy/fancy chick

4 BBS (1 roo 3 hens) Sacre/fancy chick

I only have room for one more breeding pen and I can't decide! I love all of these varities! Help!
fav is the Isabelle

Back
Top Bottom