The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Look what I found in my incubator this morning!
It looks sort of like a blue. (unexpected. Would have to be from my Blue SLO with lav cockerel) Could be a light blk/lav split.
IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG

My good silkie mama went broody in early December. About 10 days later, my 2nd silkie decided to join her. (She's not very bright.) Sadly, the eggs may have died because of the hens fighting over them.

@homeschoolin momma & I collected as many orp eggs as we could during the lowest production time of the year. (A week's grand total of 7 eggs between both flocks. LOL) Only one egg developed & hatched = the chick above.

The 1st silkie came to her senses about hatching during the coldest part of the year, but the intellectually challenged hen kept going. Of course after I set those eggs, some of my "extra pretty" orps started laying again & in a moment of weakness, more eggs were added. Then I had a scare with an egg bound serama hen and thought I was going to lose her. ( impulsively serama eggs were added) I just candled and have 5 orps and 5 seramas and 1 ? egg developing. The ? is either a big serama egg or a stolen silkie egg. It was whatever the hen found in the nest box. I swapped out her eggs for the chick and now I am hoping for another broody before Feb 5th when these 11 eggs will hatch.

Look what I found in my incubator this morning!
It looks sort of like a blue. (unexpected. Would have to be from my Blue SLO with lav cockerel) Could be a light blk/lav split.
View attachment 2502403View attachment 2502404

My good silkie mama went broody in early December. About 10 days later, my 2nd silkie decided to join her. (She's not very bright.) Sadly, the eggs may have died because of the hens fighting over them.

@homeschoolin momma & I collected as many orp eggs as we could during the lowest production time of the year. (A week's grand total of 7 eggs between both flocks. LOL) Only one egg developed & hatched = the chick above.

The 1st silkie came to her senses about hatching during the coldest part of the year, but the intellectually challenged hen kept going. Of course after I set those eggs, some of my "extra pretty" orps started laying again & in a moment of weakness, more eggs were added. Then I had a scare with an egg bound serama hen and thought I was going to lose her. ( impulsively serama eggs were added) I just candled and have 5 orps and 5 seramas and 1 ? egg developing. The ? is either a big serama egg or a stolen silkie egg. It was whatever the hen found in the nest box. I swapped out her eggs for the chick and now I am hoping for another broody before Feb 5th when these 11 eggs will hatch.
I think Xansie will come around when she hears Mai Mais chick peeping.

What a cute little one! 😍 I set some eggs over the weekend too. I found a hidden nest in the Silver-laced Orpington pen with four eggs in them. They still aren't laying, so they must belong to Kate, the F1 Blue SL. Of course those went in the incubator. I added some Serama eggs as well because I lost a pair last month. They went downhill really quickly and I couldn't find anything wrong with them. After their death though they were covered in mites. So I dusted their cages and they are all going to get sprayed as soon as it is warm enough that it won't hurt them to do it. I decided to test the fertility on the ducks so I set five or six of their eggs. Plus all the eggs from the BBS Orpington pen. I still had a few open spots, so I set some random eggs that are from the Splash Blue Copper Marans pullets and the Mars Bars (Black Copper Marans x Crested Cream Legbar) with the potential father being the Silkie or Cadbury, the Chocolate Orpington cockerel. I don't think Leopold, the Lavender SL is old enough, although he has finally started crowing and starting to look really handsome. I'm still bummed about the pullet dying. I'll candle in a week and see what things look like. I'll post some pics of Cadbury and the girls from the weekend before the rain came too.

*Excited squeal*

I got my first White Orpington egg of the year. I'm not claiming the pullet egg someone laid off the perch over the weekend. This one was in a box in a lovely nest she made. I'm also getting some F1 Blue Silver-laced eggs from Kate pretty regularly so while everyone else is holding out, I'm going to do weekly or twice weekly settings of eggs to see if I can't have some spring chicks to work with. :)

Back
Top Bottom