The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Quote:
I hope I dont get anyone upset or yelled at...but if you are someone who enjoys showing you would have to cross them on American Black Orp Bantams...the english bantam orps are huge compared to our bantams I believe their standard say up to 3 lbs....so honestly size would be more of an issue than type. As for making the cross just to sell chicks for less...well I doubt it, if someone shows they would probably pay more for a chocolate orp bantam that could be shown or has been bred down in size.

After saying all this I would like to add, that Marc Sacre and Pampered Poultry both seem to be first class operations all the way and I hope they do well with their birds, the English Chocolate Bantam Orps are very beautiful, I am really excited to see the true sex linked chocolate gene finally over here in the states and I look forward to working with the birds to create chocolate wyandottes...thanks to Marc, Pampered Poultry and Greenfire Farms for working so hard to get them over here.

I am sure chocolate orps will be available at a pretty reasonable rate by the fall of 2012, since they will be all over the place ( I think we can look at other imports that sold for large amounts of money, that now sell for much, much less)...the ones bred down to our bantam weight would probably be more valuable in the long run. Now dont get me wrong, I think the English Orps are beautiful, let be honest they are cute as h*ll....but I like to show...heck I think you should all switch over to wyandottes anyways...LOL.

Jerry

Hi Jerry -

I truly appreciate the kind words! We do go the extra mile and it shows in the quality of the operation and birds.

We have not weighed our bantams because I believe they are not out of the growth stage. Based on the conversation I have had with our friends across the pond - they will probably be between 4 and 5 lbs.

As far as co-mingling bird with American ........ughhhhhh... that gives me the shivers!. The birds are simply too beautiful in their English stance to do such a tragic thing. As we know the price on these birds are high at the moment and it is simply too tempting for someone to see the opportunity to make a quick dollar and expand their flock with some American stock. I know for some people that are into shows - that might be the way to work on an eventual American standard....however I believe that 'cheapens' the bird.

Yes I admit the price is pretty high on the English Chocs at the moment... but that offsets the cost to get them here. As with all breeds - this will come way down... it always does.

As for the Wyandottes - great birds...I just never have been that attracted to them....hmmm.. maybe one day they will be on my radar. Sooooo little time.......too many breeds.........

I dont think the prices charged for the chocolates at this time is too crazy high...it costs alot of time and money to import birds, I think you deserve to recoup your costs and make some profit...

The gene pool of UK 100% BBS available in the US was very small last yr when I got mine and honestly I don't think it has gotten much larger at this time. I purchased 3/4 English chicks and I was ok with the out cross.. I felt the chicks would be healthier having those extra genes for my breeding program. Let's face it people.. there comes a time where new genes are necessary. Some of my bred by chicks are 3/4 and some split again with American genes. Needless to say.. I will be culling and keeping only the best for breeding back to the 100% BBS chicks I bought this yr. These birds had me from Hello.. literally.. I fell in love with their beauty and temperment.

Please understand it's not all about the money to some of us that do split the genes!

This is one of my babies from Feb 2011
DSC06764.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Renie.....I don't intend to ever show and would never sell my English/American Orps as "purebred". Money and availability are both reasons I have mixes. I may get some 100% in the future if someone sells hatching eggs. I think someone did late spring this year but my incubators were full!

Very Nice Looking Orp!!
love.gif

Renie'sPeeps :

The gene pool of UK 100% BBS available in the US was very small last yr when I got mine and honestly I don't think it has gotten much larger at this time. I purchased 3/4 English chicks and I was ok with the out cross.. I felt the chicks would be healthier having those extra genes for my breeding program. Let's face it people.. there comes a time where new genes are necessary. Some of my bred by chicks are 3/4 and some split again with American genes. Needless to say.. I will be culling and keeping only the best for breeding back to the 100% BBS chicks I bought this yr. These birds had me from Hello.. literally.. I fell in love with their beauty and temperment.

Please understand it's not all about the money to some of us that do split the genes!

This is one of my babies from Feb 2011
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll216/ReniePeeps/DSC06764.jpg

Quote:
I hope I dont get anyone upset or yelled at...but if you are someone who enjoys showing you would have to cross them on American Black Orp Bantams...the english bantam orps are huge compared to our bantams I believe their standard say up to 3 lbs....so honestly size would be more of an issue than type. As for making the cross just to sell chicks for less...well I doubt it, if someone shows they would probably pay more for a chocolate orp bantam that could be shown or has been bred down in size.

I am sure chocolate orps will be available at a pretty reasonable rate by the fall of 2012, since they will be all over the place ( I think we can look at other imports that sold for large amounts of money, that now sell for much, much less)...the ones bred down to our bantam weight would probably be more valuable in the long run. Now dont get me wrong, I think the English Orps are beautiful, let be honest they are cute as h*ll....but I like to show...heck I think you should all switch over to wyandottes anyways...LOL.

You had me. I agree. I love to show. But then you had to say wyandottes, YUCKY

yuckyuck.gif
(at the wyandotte comment that is) All I can think of is that Tom Cruise movie
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Hi from Ga. I know a lot has been said about the crossing of American with English. Which I really think is fine I just ask that you don't call them Pure call them splits. We're selling some pretty Lemon Cuckoo Orpington SPLITS this weekend at the Moultrie swap. So come and make it a big turnout.
lau.gif

I'm not calling my English/American a split. No offense but I know alot of the American standard back through the years have had English Orp blood added or Cochin blood added by top breeders here in the states and they never called them a split, why should I?

I don't show but when and if I do sell an egg and that person wants to show I do say there is alittle english blood in there!

Last edited:
I now have 3 beautiful little Orpy babies in the brooder. The fatty Splash baby and 2 still-kinda-wet Blues.
love.gif

I'm concerned about one of the Blues, it seems to have struggled a bit to hatch and looks like it might not have absorbed it's yolk entirely. There was no blood or insides on the outside of it's body, just some goopy poop-like gunk hanging off it's little butt. I left this chick in the bator longer than the others to dry off and catch it's breath. The goopy stuff seems to have dried and now, the baby is wobbling around with it's hatchmates. Hopefully it will be fine.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom