The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Ruth, I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful chickens.
hugs.gif
I can't imagine coming home to find your beloved chickens dead. You tried everything to help this dog and in the end you did the right thing. I see you have a big heart for your critters. Your birds are so beautiful I enjoy the pictures!
love.gif

Thanks - I do have a soft heart for animals. I've taken in every single stray that has ever entered my life. The dog we finally had to have put down was "incurable" according to the vet and the pit bull just wasn't trainable to coexist with all the other animals and I was afraid of her aggression. I now have grandbabies learning to walk and can't risk an unknown aggressive dog. It was the first time I've ever had to have a stray put down and the first time I've ever had to take one to the pound. It is a no-kill shelter but of course they had to tell me they would probaby put the pit bull down because it would be impossible to adopt out. I tried not to look at her as we drove off. They did say they would take her to a large dog adoption day at some place they were going to be at the next week and they would at least give her a chance. Around here most of the locals breed large pit bulls for fighting. Yes, dog fights are still alive and well around "deep south" Mississippi.

One great thing about living in the woods- free bedding! I don't think we'll even run out of leaves to dig in.

This isn't my best type-wise roo, but he is the biggest, and gentle as can be.

Amy, I like this guy's type, he has a nice round chest. How many roos do you have? Is this guy penned with his own group of girls? If you're willing to share eggs I would be interested.
smile.png

we've had a dump dog issue here, and i worked with our 2 to a point they are fine around the birds, but i have one off the chain at a time as they will chase cattle if they are together

Quote:

Hey Jeremy!
I have him and another roo with a better tail, but that's slightly smaller, in with all the black orp girls. I think the other guy might end up being the same size, but when you have multiple boys that grew up together...it can temporarily stunt their growth a bit.
As soon as my last girl starts laying and we have close to 100% fertility, I can ship eggs.

I am very pro-swap, so if anybody has Saxony duck, Sebastopol, or unrelated Toulouse eggs, I will make it more than worth your while!
wink.png

We have had plenty of dog issues too. Everybody seems to think that us "Yankees" are all stinking rich and love to take in strays.
We had to re-home our own Anatolian last year because he became a goose killer. I don't know what was more sad-- burying the geese, or sending him off to a
goose-free farm. He was the only thing that ever kept the coons away. Almost 7ft tall when he put his paws on your shoulders.

Last edited:

have started sifting through pictures i have and filing them in their colours, first off is red cuckoo, still a long way off perfection especially the colour in the hens, it needs to be considerably darker and without any solid tail or flight feathers, very difficult to get whilst retaining good cuckoo markings but i'm reasonably pleased so far being such a new colour, there has been a lot of interest in them over here and i shall be releasing eggs for sale this season, u.k. only i'm afraid.
please let me know your views on the colour, likes or dislikes, wether it has a place in the future in the U.S. along side all the other colours, this and the blue laced are the 2 colours which will take me into retirement as i have no plans to start any new project colours,
i will put on more colours/varities when i have them sorted
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom