The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

That looks to be red leakage on the wing, but during the intense summer you will get some fading with the chocolates. After the molt it should be back to a rich chocolate.

So was out looking at my kids and saw one has feathers on the legs, yes they are 100% English so do I keep her ? My friend said no send her down the road.
What do you all think.

It is my belief that these birds do have cochin blood. I could be wrong, but that is my belief. I have seen some of them hatch with feathered legs and the feathers all fall off as they grow; some of them do not loose the feathers though. If you have the resources you could get an unrelated bird that has clean shanks to try breeding to or cull the bird from the flock.

Zgoatlady,

I use about 2 tablespoons per gallon of water of red cell.

Last edited:
It is my belief that these birds do have cochin blood. I could be wrong, but that is my belief. I have seen some of them hatch with feathered legs and the feathers all fall off as they grow; some of them do not loose the feathers though. If you have the resources you could get an unrelated bird that has clean shanks to try breeding to or cull the bird from the flock.
Yep... I agree with that too.

I bought some chicks and in the group were about 8 or so with feathers on the legs... I gave them away... Boy I sure wanted to kick my butt when I saw them later :( The legs were clean of all feathers. Soo don't pitch the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

Yep... I agree with that too.

I bought some chicks and in the group were about 8 or so with feathers on the legs... I gave them away... Boy I sure wanted to kick my butt when I saw them later :( The legs were clean of all feathers. Soo don't pitch the baby out with the bath water so to speak.
somone else told me that same thing..the chicks had stubbs , they went ahead and kept them..when they were shedding baby feathers, they shed those too and they never came back..

Hi Rockinpaints,

The red leakage in chocolate orpingtons is not quite common, it happens once and a while. You should not use these roosters for breeding purposes only the ones that don't show the red leakage. This is my humble opinion.

Marc

Thank you Marc, (and everyone!) for the input. ( We will not be using him for breeding) He is the only LF chocolate project roo I had hatched from Korfus Kluckers. I can't remember where Christina got her chocolates, or possibly the line of blacks they were crossed to??
idunno.gif
I'll have to look it up.

I have 4 other cockerels the same age as the first picture, they are a couple months younger than the roo from Christina. I purchase them all to work on the LF chocolates - but..............I have large fowl chocolates hatching next week that I imported!
yesss.gif

So far he is the only one showing any shades other than chocolate and he is such a sweetie too. He thinks he is a 'lap roo'. Of course all the chocolates seem very sweet (no pun intended
big_smile.png
)

Thanks again for all the input. Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th!
Nellie

Thank you Marc, (and everyone!) for the input. ( We will not be using him for breeding) He is the only LF chocolate project roo I had hatched from Korfus Kluckers. I can't remember where Christina got her chocolates, or possibly the line of blacks they were crossed to??
idunno.gif
I'll have to look it up.

I have 4 other cockerels the same age as the first picture, they are a couple months younger than the roo from Christina. I purchase them all to work on the LF chocolates - but..............I have large fowl chocolates hatching next week that I imported!
yesss.gif

So far he is the only one showing any shades other than chocolate and he is such a sweetie too. He thinks he is a 'lap roo'. Of course all the chocolates seem very sweet (no pun intended
big_smile.png
)

Thanks again for all the input. Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th!
Nellie
Nellie, you need to know how you order the import eggs,if you don't want to trow money out the window.
is take me 3 year to find the best way.
If you get fresh fertile eggs from the seller ,you can have 65-80 % hatch.
Lot of breeder cross with black even in UK ,becarefull who you buy.
I only love two line Ramsley and Bob Fallows they have size and big fluffy skirt.

Actually I should have said quite common but maybe not standard? Does anyone know the standards. This my first generation.....
idunno.gif
Guess I need to find these things out now.

Hey, how about you UK folks
big_smile.png
, any info for us? Thanks for all the help!
There is no standard for Chocolates yet that I know of even in the UK. They are still trying to get the Jubliblees which used to be accepted and shown years ago in Uk accepted back in. I have not seen anything written up for the Chocolates. Has anyone else seen anything yet? I have no clue what the eye color is going to be. I am hoping the Chocolate breeders over here get together with a common goal in mind for eye color and leg color, beak color.

Back
Top Bottom