The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Have to agree with Jean. Its common sense not to ship chicks that don't have the yolk left in their system. The losses were totally avoidable.
sad.png
Hopefully the shipped has learned form this and the next ones will go out right after hatch.

[COLOR=000000]9.3.2[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Day-Old [COLOR=FF0000]Poultry[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Day-old [COLOR=FF0000]poultry[/COLOR] vaccinated with Newcastle disease (live virus) is nonmailable. Live day-old chickens, ducks, emus, geese, guinea fowl, partridges, pheasants (pheasants may be mailed only from April through August), quail, and turkeys are acceptable in the mail only if:[/COLOR] a. [COLOR=FF0000]They are not more than 24[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]hours old[/COLOR] and are presented for mailing in the original unopened hatchery box from the hatchery of origin. e. They can be delivered to the addressee within [COLOR=FF0000]72[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]hours[/COLOR] of the time of hatching, whether the addressee resides in town or on a rural route or highway contract route.
[COLOR=000000]9.3.4[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Adult Fowl[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Disease-free adult fowl may be mailed domestically when shipped under applicable law in accordance with [COLOR=0066CC]1.7[/COLOR]. Adult chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, doves, pigeons, pheasants, partridges, and quail as well as ducks, geese, and swans are mailable as follows:[/COLOR] a. The mailer must send adult fowl by Express Mail in secure containers approved by the manager, Product Classification (see [COLOR=0066CC]608.8.0[/COLOR] for address). b. The number of birds per parcel must follow the container manufacturer limits and [COLOR=FF0000]each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces.[/COLOR] c. A mailing container must be used that is constructed by a USPS-approved manufacturer listed on the RIBBS website at http://ribbs.usps.gov. d. Indemnity may be paid only for articles that are lost, damaged, or missing contents, and not for death of the birds in transit if there is no visible damage to the mailing container. e. [COLOR=FF0000]Postage refunds may not be available if the Express Mail shipment was delivered or[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]delivery was attempted within three days of the date of mailing as shown in the �Date In� box on Label 11.[/COLOR] Operative words here are "may not." Doesn't say "does not," but rather "may not."

I'll find that out and let you know if thats true or not. My husband works for the PO and so do a lot of his friends...:oops:

Retiree from the post office here. There truly is no "public" phone number to distribution centers but there are phone numbers to them that an employee can get for you. Just because there isn't one for the "public" to call doesn't mean people can't get a number hehe.

Retiree from the post office here. There truly is no "public" phone number to distribution centers but there are phone numbers to them that an employee can get for you. Just because there isn't one for the "public" to call doesn't mean people can't get a number hehe.

It is always good to know someone on the "inside". When I could ship I use to say. "Can you give me your phone number in case something comes up on MY end". Then I had the local number. Or when you pick up your birds ask the same question. Once you have it, you have some help if something goes wrong. they don't want a lot of people to have their phone number, but they seemed willing to give it out if asked.

Walt

Still have no idea where they were from 8:30 Monday when they left Jacksonville till Midnight Tuesday when they arrived at our local distribution center. However I feel they were probably still alive at that point. They were cold when I picked them up so I'm assuming they were in an airconditioned room once delivered. I am going to talk to the distribution center and my local station. (they are only about 3 miles apart and I am inbetween) to let them both know they are expected and to ask them not be placed in a cold room if possible.

The survivor is now in the brooder pen and seems to be hanging out with the older chicks instead of the ones his age who are with one of my silkie hens. I guess because it was bator hatched it didn't gravitate to the mom.

Back
Top Bottom