The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I'm not to old for it but just don't care to put on a show for the neighbors. They like to sit in thier back yard and watch my chickens.

gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

smile.png

Yeah, I guess if can be a little tough catching the silly things when they're loose!
Mine are just pets and there aren't that many of them so it's a little easier. I just check them regularly and replace them if needed. I just use them so I know who I got them from if I have the same breed from different people.

Catching the first one isn't too bad but the rest figure out what I'm doing pretty quick and don't want any part of it.
big_smile.png
They are more than willing to come up for treats, but not so much so to get their bands changed.

LOL It gives me the creeps when someone does that. I have a few that do, but thankfully now only on their front porches. The voyeurs in the back are gone now.

I prefer the zip ties. I figure it's just common sense to check them and make sure your chicken doesn't lose it's foot or life.

Those metal ones used for the NPIP testing are a pain. The bantam ones aren't small enough for OEGBs, to small for Cochins and just right for LF Ameraucanas. The LF bands are to small for LF Cochins, are borderline for my bantam chocolate Orps. and to big for my LF Ameraucanas. I have lost many of those stupid bands and then I have to go back through my paperwork to see who the band belonged to.

I prefer the zip ties. I figure it's just common sense to check them and make sure your chicken doesn't lose it's foot or life.

Those metal ones used for the NPIP testing are a pain. The bantam ones aren't small enough for OEGBs, to small for Cochins and just right for LF Ameraucanas. The LF bands are to small for LF Cochins, are borderline for my bantam chocolate Orps. and to big for my LF Ameraucanas. I have lost many of those stupid bands and then I have to go back through my paperwork to see who the band belonged to.
Common sense I have!.... Time is the issue. I don't have time to chase 30 or more chicks around to check each leg band and stressing them, my other birds, and ME . I would rather use my time more wisely. Like keeping them clean and comfortable all while I am busy taking care of the rest of my little farm.

~snort~ that is soo funny and so dang true... I swear our neighbor sits on her front porch to smoke... just to watch what we will do next.
I had a neighbor tell us day later that oh did you see that little goat that was in the hot wire
somad.gif
we watched it for hours it was really funny
rant.gif
I was gone and my oldest son came home to see her. It was so sad she made it but she was really hurt. ( I couldnt say anything to them I was way to mad!)

Back
Top Bottom