The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Not just a humble opinion but fact based opinion born out of experience. Everyone does what works for them, their management system and the time they have. I am surprised that so many are messing with bands and zip ties etc. for growing youngsters. Toe punching the young from various matings and keeping records as to the system used that year makes it easy to identify chicks without the stress of handling or the bother of constantly checking and redoing bands. With two feet and four webs available each year one color can be covered even if the breeder is making half a dozen or more matings within that color. No fuss or stress and when birds are more full sized and it's known that they are staying at least for a while they can be banded then if the breeder would like. Just another opinion.

I must have forgotten to quote the post being responded to.
I have used both the split rings and zip ties. There are issues with both. Cons... The split rings come off and the zip ties don't.

If it is imperative that your poultry stay marked (as in banded ) the split bands may not be a good choice. I have found them in the floor of the coop and not know who belonged to them (I think that is the safety idea)
smile.png
. I like the zip ties the best BUT you MUST monitor them. It is not so much the cost as it is the dependability. But the chickies grow up before you know it and will out grow their zip tie - they will never ever come off till you cut them off.

The zip ties must be changed several times before the chicks fully mature. When they are several months old you can usually put it on loose enough to not have to change them again. (but should still be checked regularly). I order them in a rainbow of colors and some times use 2 or 3 bands of different colors for different reasons (age, breed, breeder).

But PLEASE if you use zip ties, it can't be said enough, check them, check them, check them.
Just my humble opinion
hide.gif

Renie, I have offered wondered why there was not some form of "registration" for the birds. I used to have to tatoo and register my French Lop rabbits (when I raised them as a kid) with ARBA. Would make sense to me to somehow register a bird. But how would one permanenantly ID a bird? I think this is a very good conversation and I would bet that it has been conversed before.

Oh, Renie, the eggs/now babies I have from you are growing like weeds and are doing great.
Well... the only way I can think of to mark a bird would be to micro chip like I do my dogs

Good to hear about the chicks.. I hope they turn out to be very special for you <Hugs>

Last edited:
What is the cost to microchip each one?

Don't know if you can do chickens due to irritation under the skin but when I worked at the veterinary clinic the cost was about $35 each for dogs/cats. It's been a few years but I don't think it has changed that much. Does anyone know if you can microchip poultry?

Well depending upon how many you buy... I usually buy a container of 25.. They have added up to be about 17.00 each. I haven't bought any in a while ... I use avid chips. I don't know if there is a chip designed just for birds or not.

Well depending upon how many you buy... I usually buy a container of 25.. They have added up to be about 17.00 each. I haven't bought any in a while ... I use avid chips. I don't know if there is a chip designed just for birds or not.

You get them for your poultry?

I think the $17 probably doesn't include the registration fee does it? But can you register it if used on chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom