The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

One of my choice brood pullets for this breeding season, A little on the dark side but her type is great, shes realy a beauty, camera phone is not the best in the world, she is about 6 months old.

I have some of your babies (got eggs from you this spring)...they too are almost/right around 6 months old. I am watching them closely to look for good points and bad. I love them all. They are gorgeous babies. I would bet there are little faults I should be seeing...but I may be prejudice as I thing they are perfect. You have very nice birds.

If i'm not wrong, there's no such thing as a bird being split for cuckoo. They are cuckoo or not.
I could be wrong but that's what I remember from what Bob Folows said about cuckoo.

Marc
You are right There is no such thing as "split for cuckoo". This is from another thread, a post by Boggy Bottom Bantams:

cuckoo and barring genes dont work that way.
They are what they are, just like blue and dun... you'll never have a split one to any of those colors. If they have the gene it is visibly expressed.
If a male barred bird came from parents that were both barred, he is called double factored.
This only works for males though...
Now if you breed that male to ANYTHING else, 100% of the chicks will be barred.

These chicks are called single factored , meaning they only have 1 copy of barring.

Now if you use a single factored male to anything else un barred, this is when you start having the various ratios of barred verses non barred chicks

Not sure if yours is single factored or double factored?

Here's how you tell.
1) double factored males will be pale and wash out looking, this is especially noticable in the blacks. They will take on sort of a greyish color. Single factored males will still be nice and dark.
2) still not usre? Are there ANY feathers on him that are solid colored? Look at the tail and wings especially. If you see any feathers that are solid and not barred, he's a single factored male.
3) if all else fails, you'll know from the hatch when you breed him, doubles ALWAYS make 100% barred chicks.

Nice Boys!!

Here's a picture of our newest addition................
big_smile.png

(just had to show her off)

that is so cute

gorgeous birds. Please excuse any questions I ask...I am not trying to be judgmental or rude or critcal...I am trying to learn and I know that you are an experienced orp breeder (from reading your comments) and from seeing your birds.

Your first photo is a splash - correct? I love her shape. She is so pretty. They are all very pretty. But question, the middle bird? Would her tail be considered a bit high? or is this just how she is standing? She is so pretty too.

eta: why I ask is that I am beginning to "critic" my own birds and I read your guys' comments and look at the photos. I then go look at my birds to see who has what. It helps me to learn.

Last edited:
If i'm not wrong, there's no such thing as a bird being split for cuckoo. They are cuckoo or not.
I could be wrong but that's what I remember from what Bob Folows said about cuckoo.

Marc

Well that's good to know. Thanks bunches Marc and everyone for the input. I had a black once (that I thought was black) but he produce some barring. I will try to find his picture and show you what I discovered...........To be continued
smile.png

I have some of your babies (got eggs from you this spring)...they too are almost/right around 6 months old. I am watching them closely to look for good points and bad. I love them all. They are gorgeous babies. I would bet there are little faults I should be seeing...but I may be prejudice as I thing they are perfect. You have very nice birds.
There is just something special about Roger Orps..I also think they are just perfect..the faces, the width, the feather color, massive feet..LOVE them...

Back
Top Bottom