The Irony- Rescuing a Coopers Hawk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ericsgirlie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    My daughter likes to rescue animals and has a reputation for it. We get a call about rescuing a baby osprey. It arrives and we are thinking it is not an osprey, but a hawk. Sure enough it is a hawk :p A chicken killer :( He has a brain injury and we are having to tube feed it for now. If he recovers we will take him to the land of FARFARAWAY! LOL

He sure is pretty! We have named him Achmed.
    [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    He is very pretty. Do you have a wildlife rehabilitator there? Here in Ohio it is illegal to rehab wild animals, unless you are licensed with the State to do that. Someone recently got in trouble for rehabbing deer and raccoons, it was a really sad story. Anyway, be careful, and I'm glad she's doing that. We love all the animals, wild ones, too, and do everything we can to be able to enjoy them all. [​IMG]

3. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Our vet is overseeing us, but yes it is illegal. We learned the art of tube feeding today. So scarey. Our vet is awesome. There are few rehabbers here and most will not take on new animals :( He is definitely neurologic, which could mean a long recovery :p

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Did you check with the MD Department of Natural Resources?

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Plants_Wildlife/rehab.asp

Beautiful bird. Some years back we had a Coopers Hawk that was down on our property. We were lucky in that AC was able to catch and take the hawk to a local vet who also does wildlife rehabilitation.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Beautiful bird! And so glad you are learning how to tube... it will get easier.

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    He's gorgeous! But those talons are killer.. Lol.

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Tube feeding is scary at first but really it's not bad. What are you tube feeding him?

8. Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Question: do you have to be licensed in your area to rescue wildlife? You may want to ask your local animal shelter or county. Your daughter could get in some big trouble if there are laws regarding wildlife rescues in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by