The joys of ordering chicks months in advance

wolfwalker

Songster
5 Years
Dec 21, 2018
Jewell County Kansas
McMurray sent tracking info on my chicks today. Ones that I ordered back in October.

And of course we will be experiencing weird weather with lows in the 20's for the next 3 mornings.

Last year we experienced 50 year weather. And mother nature is trying to trump last year it looks like.

The brooder has 6, 3 week old's in it that I was planning to move out tomorrow, but now, with this crazy weather, it looks like I am going to have to add a divider for a couple of days. We are forecasted to go back to our normal lows of mid 40's starting on Friday.

One can hope. The post office is aware and knowing the postmaster, she will inspect the chicks as soon as the driver brings them in to make sure they arrived alive. I of course, once I get notification they are leaving Tuscon will park outside the PO at 7. She said so will peak her head out looking for my car. LOL. she laid into the driver once for not keeping someone else's order in the cab with him, they arrived dead and she was livid with the driver

Well, I have them settled now. I picked them up placed them in the brooder after adding one of the heat plates as the brooder dropped 10 degrees overnight. We hit a low fo 23 this morning, 20 degrees below what are normal is this time of year.

I ordered 26, I had called in about 3 weeks ago and asked to ad a Male Light Brahma to the order, they sent an extra light Brahma.

They also sent a mystery chick. Which makes me go GRRRR then Sigh. I had things I planned to do this week not spending countless hours looking at baby chick pics to try and figure out the extra they sent. LOL

28 chicks are now inside in my post hatch brooder, and there is not a lot of room for them to move around, but they were unhappy, and starting to pile due to being cold, so inside they came. It is only for a couple of nights as they forecast we will go back to our normal night time lows of mid forties by Friday.

Now pics

20200205_091547.jpg

and mystery chick

20200205_085345.jpg

One can hope. The post office is aware and knowing the postmaster, she will inspect the chicks as soon as the driver brings them in to make sure they arrived alive. I of course, once I get notification they are leaving Tuscon will park outside the PO at 7. She said so will peak her head out looking for my car. LOL. she laid into the driver once for not keeping someone else's order in the cab with him, they arrived dead and she was livid with the driver

You're lucky in her caring and being like that. I have a pretty good mailman over here and he bring's my hatching egg's right to my door.

Back
Top Bottom