The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
I'm considering adding a few ducks to my chicken flock. How does the nest. Box need to be set up? Hieght off the ground. Can they climb up a ramp/ladder?
this is my chicken house. I am adding a second run off to the right. Still early enough in the build to change things if I need too. Any advice. Thanks

My advice: If you want to add ducks, do not house them with your chickens. It can be done, and I'm sure there are people out there that do it, however ducks that are kept in a coop/run are far more messy than chickens. You will end up cleaning that coop twice, if not 3x times as much as you do now. I have 4 ducks and the free range, they leave mess in the yard than my chickens do IMO but when cooped up they mess their living quarters much faster than a chicken would.

I'm considering adding a few ducks to my chicken flock. How does the nest. Box need to be set up? Hieght off the ground. Can they climb up a ramp/ladder?
this is my chicken house. I am adding a second run off to the right. Still early enough in the build to change things if I need too. Any advice. Thanks
We have a large run with a coop. Our 11 chickens and 6 ducks share the run but our ducks aren't interested in the coop. Ducks typically sleep on the ground. All they need is something to shield them from the wind and dry bedding. Our ducks have always chosen to sleep on the dirt. They free range during the day and the ducks and chickens have never bothered each other. My coop stays relatively clean. They have a shared water dish that gets dirty fast but that doesn't even seem to affect them. They have been pretty low maintenance. We are adding 11 ducks and 10 chickens so we'll see how that changes ;-)

Also, there is a very good article on metzer farms website that compares owning chickens vs ducks. I learned so much from it on the needs of ducks.

My ducka free range but at night are locked up without water. It says in storeys guide to ducks that they can go 8-10 hours without water. Before i had put the water outside the duxk house was a disaster. I find this the best way for keeping ot clean

Hey all :) just wanted to share my pretty ladies I picked up a couple days ago
My first ever ducks so it's all very exciting and they are loving free ranging

The only issue in having is my chickens are picking on them ... Will they stand up for themselves eventually?

So excited and had to tell someone, since it's a surprise for the kids and I've had to keep it quiet!! We are adding 4 KC's to our feathered friends tomorrow!! We have been wanting KC's for 2 years now but haven't found anyone local with some until recently. They are 5 months old and 2 are laying! Maybe they'll teach our 24 week old chickens to lay! LOL

So excited and had to tell someone, since it's a surprise for the kids and I've had to keep it quiet!! We are adding 4 KC's to our feathered friends tomorrow!! We have been wanting KC's for 2 years now but haven't found anyone local with some until recently. They are 5 months old and 2 are laying! Maybe they'll teach our 24 week old chickens to lay! LOL
Congradulations! Have fun with them! I'm sure the eggs will be wonderful!

Got these girls yesterday! At least I think they're all girls. And got 3 eggs this morning from them. They are 5 months old and this is our first time having ducks! I'm super excited!!

Back
Top Bottom