The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
Does anyone else have a drake that , with the exception of bill color and some wing color, looks like a mallard drake? My boy

My drake does not have that look, but I think that pic looks like he could still be growing in feathers. Might change still. That chestnut color is beautiful.

Here's Mine, 1/2way in a molt.

Last edited:
Pretty birds. Did you have any trouble getting them away from the water and back home?

No trouble at all. I am the giver of peas. They will follow me anywhere, lol.

Newfie - have you been giving them niacin in their water? If not try to find some no-flush niacin at a drug store. Grind it up and mix it with their water. Builds strong legs.

I am interested in getting some Kakis and I have some questions. I don't know if this is the correct forum to find the answers I need or not. If not and you can point me to the correct forum please let me know.

I am interested in getting some Kakis for egg production. What age do they start laying eggs? Do the ducks go broody often? Is there a very good market for duck eggs? If there is, where do you sell yours?

Extra drakes will be processed for meat. What size do Kakis get to be? How many weeks does it take them to get to processing weight? Are they very meaty at all or would you consider processing them a waste of time? Do you think there is a market for processed Kakis?

How do Kakis compare to Muscovy? Do you have any idea of the yearly egg production of Muscovy? Can a Kaki and a Muscovy be cross bred?

I am interested in getting some Kakis and I have some questions. I don't know if this is the correct forum to find the answers I need or not. If not and you can point me to the correct forum please let me know.

I am interested in getting some Kakis for egg production. What age do they start laying eggs? Do the ducks go broody often? Is there a very good market for duck eggs? If there is, where do you sell yours?

Extra drakes will be processed for meat. What size do Kakis get to be? How many weeks does it take them to get to processing weight? Are they very meaty at all or would you consider processing them a waste of time? Do you think there is a market for processed Kakis?

How do Kakis compare to Muscovy? Do you have any idea of the yearly egg production of Muscovy? Can a Kaki and a Muscovy be cross bred?
I have 2 khaki's and 2 muscovies. My khaki's are for egg production and just all around loving, fun ducks. Mine started laying 6 1/2 mos. and I've had an egg from each everyday since. Fro what I've read, they lay 300-340 eggs a yr. I have 2 females so no idea on broodiness and not alot of meat on them that I see. We eat all our eggs, but I see signs out in yards and on CL people sell them.
My muscovies I got for meat birds. They don't have a very good egg production. I have a female and a male and will find out in the spring hopefully on broodiness and their parenting skills. My hope is to keep my lil couple 4ever and use any male offspring for food and sell the females. I'll see how that goes.
Mine are already trying to cross bred. lol I learned from here, they can, but u will get a mutt who is not fertile.
Miss Lidya (probably spelled that wrong, sry) has alot of experience and advice. Good luck!!!

I have 2 khaki's and 2 muscovies. My khaki's are for egg production and just all around loving, fun ducks. Mine started laying 6 1/2 mos. and I've had an egg from each everyday since. Fro what I've read, they lay 300-340 eggs a yr. I have 2 females so no idea on broodiness and not alot of meat on them that I see. We eat all our eggs, but I see signs out in yards and on CL people sell them. 
My muscovies I got for meat birds. They don't have a very good egg production. I have a female and a male and will find out in the spring hopefully on broodiness and their parenting skills. My hope is to keep my lil couple 4ever and use any male offspring for food and sell the females. I'll see how that goes.
Mine are already trying to cross bred. lol  I learned from here, they can, but u will get a mutt who is not fertile.
Miss Lidya (probably spelled that wrong, sry) has alot of experience and advice. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot. Right now I only have chickens but I do hope to get some in the early spring.

We've officially joined the KC club. At 19 weeks we got our first egg. We got our duckings in July - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/808438/got-our-ducklings and I was suprised to get eggs this early.

this one came in while I was taking photos when I found it.

[edited to add] store egg on bottom
seems to be thin shelled. The next day was a little bigger, haven't seens todays yet.

Last edited:
I'm jealous. :) Can any of you guys tell me or point me in the direction of some info on duck keeping the correct way, such as what is required as in space, nesting, etc? Thanks again.

I'm jealous.
smile.png
Can any of you guys tell me or point me in the direction of some info on duck keeping the correct way, such as what is required as in space, nesting, etc? Thanks again.

Here's a list of resources on this site:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

In general:
1. Ducks make a big mess, plan accordingly when designing a coop/run
2. I don't recommend keeping water inside the coop. If you do try using 2-liter bottles with poultry nipples
3. Never have food available to ducks without water nearby. It should be deep enough for them to dip their heads in.
4. For ducklings - keep them inside (if it's cold out) until they're fully feathered. Around six weeks if I recall correctly.
5. Most ducks have zero ability to survive against predators. They can't fly, they can't run, they don't hide well and they certainly can't fight back. Don't leave them out after dusk. Do not rely on them to put themselves away. Build a coop that is predator-proof. No openings larger than 1/4 inch unless it's covered with hardware cloth. Chicken wire is nigh useless. Lock all latches with something like carabiners. Raccoons can open simple latches.
6. If you plan on giving them access to their run 24/7 (like I do) then build the run by the same rules. 1/4" hardware cloth at least on the bottom 3', chicken wire might be okay above that. Cover the top of the run as well. Bury hardware cloth under the edges to prevent digging (skirted is relatively simple.)
7. They don't have to have water to swim in but they're happier with it.
8. Feed them peas. They will love you.

Back
Top Bottom