The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
Hi
I am looking for a bit of advice. I have my two, 5 and half week old KC's which I keep in a dog crate in the kitchen. Over the last couple of weeks I have kept taking them outside foraging and to start with in their first small temporary outdoor pen, they were quite happy in there. I would be around on just inside the house, but they were quite content.

Over the last week or so I made a pen in a different place, where it is going to be permanently. I'm not sure if it is because they have since got more attached to me or not. But they don't like to lose sight of me at all and it is heartbreaking hearing their little cries at the gate. It's like leaving your little toddlers at the school gates!

Sometimes they go and play in their pool for a while, but if they see me go down the garden to see to the chickens they cry like mad again. They are fine when I let them out with me around the garden, but if I need to go back into the house and put them back into their pen (otherwise they follow me into the house) they are crying again.

I let them back into the dog crate in the house about tea time or when I have to go out and they are so happy and contented in there and settle down straight away. You can see they feel safe and contented.

My worry is when I start putting them outside at night, it is going to break my heart! Any advice anyone??

I am currently slowly getting them used to where their outdoor house is and trying to encourage them up the ramp, so I suppose with more time and patience I might get there?

These are some pictures of my babies. I bought them at Tractor Supply Co (wouldn't advise it!!) and they could not tell me sex or what kind they are so I have come to the conclusion through my own research that I have two Khaki Campell babies, please correct me if I am wrong! I decided on my own that they were girls for some reason
lau.gif
so their names are Daisy and Emma, Emma being the bigger one. I bought these guys on April 7th and the people working there said they were about a week old (the very last picture of them in the blue paint tin is a picture from about two or three days after I got them) so I would say they are about 2 months old now, living outside, waddling around my fenced in backyard during the day eating as much grass and worms as they please. Seeing as they are two months old I have not heard a real quack from either of them just a lot of peeping I guess you could call it. I can post a video of what they sound like if I need to. I read that no real quacks, curled tail feathers and green heads mean that I have a boy but as you can see neither of them have curled tail feathers or green heads. One of them is a little bigger and more outgoing than the other and the smaller one tends to be a bit shy and follow the other. Does this mean that my girls are just late on the quacking thing or is it perfectly normal to not quack yet at 2 months? Also my ducks have shed feathers EVERYWHERE in my yard! I thought they already lost their feathers and had more come in a while back so this is the second time they have shed feathers. What does that mean? Do they do that often?

Last edited:
Their voices should become distinct and their telltale feathers should develop during the next month. You are just experiencing normal Khaki ducklings. Khaki Campbell ducklings are difficult to sex and if you want sexed babies you really need to get them from a reputable hatchery. At any rate Welcome to BYC! Post lots of photos and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Hi
I am looking for a bit of advice. I have my two, 5 and half week old KC's which I keep in a dog crate in the kitchen. Over the last couple of weeks I have kept taking them outside foraging and to start with in their first small temporary outdoor pen, they were quite happy in there. I would be around on just inside the house, but they were quite content.

Over the last week or so I made a pen in a different place, where it is going to be permanently. I'm not sure if it is because they have since got more attached to me or not. But they don't like to lose sight of me at all and it is heartbreaking hearing their little cries at the gate. It's like leaving your little toddlers at the school gates!

Sometimes they go and play in their pool for a while, but if they see me go down the garden to see to the chickens they cry like mad again. They are fine when I let them out with me around the garden, but if I need to go back into the house and put them back into their pen (otherwise they follow me into the house) they are crying again.

I let them back into the dog crate in the house about tea time or when I have to go out and they are so happy and contented in there and settle down straight away. You can see they feel safe and contented.

My worry is when I start putting them outside at night, it is going to break my heart! Any advice anyone??

I am currently slowly getting them used to where their outdoor house is and trying to encourage them up the ramp, so I suppose with more time and patience I might get there?
Why not just get a bigger crate for the inside and keep them like you have been. I have a few friends that have "house" ducks.

Hi,
Linda Davis here. I just got 5 Kaki campbells ducklings , 1 maybe a runner cross, it's a cocoa color with a white ring around it's neck this 1 & 1 of the brown ones came from a different farm than the other 3. Last yr was my 1st ducks. I had 2 white crested ducks , 1 Rouen & 1 Peking. Unfortunately my chickens & ducks were raid & many killed & taken. Lost all my ducks ( 2 this winter to coyotes ) .Just picked up 2 more from the local farm again, these 2 are yellow & the kids didn't know what they are. Pic's soon. I also have 3 runners & 2 African geese coming in on Fri.

Love the pictures of everyones feather babies
jumpy.gif

Hi

I have mine outside now. they are the oppsite of yours, they are so skiddish still. I got 2 of them when they 8 wks & 3 I think are 3 mnths. they come running when I fill up their feed bowl tho :)

Quote:
I think they look cool but still wont breed them. The crest is actually a skull defect. When you breed a crested to a crested you can end up with a lot of dead or deformed ducklings.

I did get 3 crested ducks last yr, 1 died at about 3 months. they were suppose to be Indian runners , but the Agway made an error & ordered white crested ducklings. I thought they were neat looking, but The male when he was old enough to do his thing, he always grabbed Dayzee's crest and was yanking it out.
sad.png
I felt so bad for her. When I did read about it being a defect I didn't ordered any more. so these Kc & Kc mix have no crest & the runners that will be here fri are not either.

Yeah I picked them up on April 10th and Here he/she is haha. Has pretty much all of the flight feathers and even developing the diamond under the wings! I keep waiting for a curled tail feather or a quack or something to know if its male or female! I just wanna know!!!! lol
Looks just like my Scrappy did a month ago. He looks like this now. That dark head and orange legs are a dead giveaway for me that you have a little drake.

Back
Top Bottom