The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Pics
Hi everyone,
So I have chickens, but let me say all are right ducks are messy, require lots of food, water and cleaning the coop almost every day! I started off with one 2 week old Rouen and she has been a joy living in the house in a large cage, she was a duck we stumbled upon on a job site brought her home and fell in love, she is now beautiful 5 months old! Recently we got a friend for her a little nerves 2 month old Campbell, OMG this duckling is nerves, we call her nervous Nellie! And she is now about 3 months old and huge bigger then my 5 month old Rouen. Are these duck typically a large breed?
My Khakis didn't get very big, but they were all girls. The should be around 4-5 pounds when they're all grown up, so not very big at all. I never weighed mine, but I doubt they're more than 4 pounds. You're Rouen duck should get bigger than the Khaki, but I've never had a Rouen, so maybe they mature slower than Khaki's?

Hello! I recently acquired a few adult Khakis and have some questions.

I picked up 4 Khakis from a local girl and integrated them into my existing mixed duck flock. The Khaki drake (only stud in the bunch) seems to be mating the non-Khaki females more than the girls he came with. I had four other females to start with and they're now missing a lot of head feathers. Is it normal for Khaki drakes to be so…..active? Is he just excited to have more ladies?

I had a Pekin drake and a Muscovy drake before but I didn't notice so many missing feathers.
Hi again!
I was doing some more looking at my girls last night and ALL of them have a bald spot. My Muscovies are starting to look like monks. This cannot possibly be normal behavior.

Hello all

Me an my girlfriend got 6 khakis bout a month ago n I love them she thinks I'm goofy but they are so cool I haven't took pics in awhile but will share the ones I do have....

Last edited:
What the heck.. my KCs hit the four week mark and went from perfectly clean and content ducklings, to gangly water tossing and soaking themselves monsters. they cannot seem to keep feathers clean or dry for more than a day, and a gallon of water lasts hours maybe. do you all think i should keep supplementing niacin in water (i have to ground to fine powder from granuale capsule, and then mix into jugs)? they had deficiency issues from some flock raiser feed (purina rep is looking into problem and supposed to get back to me with findings).

Welcome to raising ducks?

The thing I've found to work best is to get a container and cut a hole big enough for them to poke their head in and out but not so big that they can get in and splash around.

What the heck.. my KCs hit the four week mark and went from perfectly clean and content ducklings, to gangly water tossing and soaking themselves monsters. they cannot seem to keep feathers clean or dry for more than a day, and a gallon of water lasts hours maybe. do you all think i should keep supplementing niacin in water (i have to ground to fine powder from granuale capsule, and then mix into jugs)? they had deficiency issues from some flock raiser feed (purina rep is looking into problem and supposed to get back to me with findings).

Flockrasier has the appropriate amount of niacin in it and can be fed to ducks their entire life so I am wondering if something else is going on. Are you using non-flush niacin? If so I recommend switching to nutritional yeast. Also, your ground granules may be sinking to the bottom and not being consumed. You might also try Nutri-Drench for a few days - it has vitamins (including niacin) and electrolytes and has a dropper tube you can put in the duck's mouth to make sure it is getting the stuff.

Welcome to raising ducks?

The thing I've found to work best is to get a container and cut a hole big enough for them to poke their head in and out but not so big that they can get in and splash around.

I agree with this idea. I've started using a gallon milk jug, and this has worked the best so far. I have 2 holes cut in it, and I put some pebbles in the bottom to help weigh it down. I was using a large margarine container with holes in it, but they could easily tip that over.

So my babies I got from TSC are about 6 weeks old and HUGE! I can't believe they are as big as they are! They all look exactly the same to me too right now, I can't tell a difference in male and female. Some quack, and some make raspy noises, but I can't quite tell who is making what noise, or even if they consistently make the same noise! LOL! They still "baby cheep" too. But they are huge. Look like full grown ducks almost. Boss my chickens around. LOL! AM hoping I got a pair of pekins and at least one male KC. Time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom