The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Do any of you know what this behavior is/means? Sometimes I see my khaki bobbing her head up and down like a cork, repeatedly.

Do any of you know what this behavior is/means? Sometimes I see my khaki bobbing her head up and down like a cork, repeatedly.
From the San Diege Zoo...

"Head bobbing: Many people wonder about what head bobbing means. It is usually something related to courtship and breeding. Head bobbing straight up and down is usually an invitation to mate or it could also mean that they are excited to see someone they really like. Ducks will often head bob at someone who is about it feed them because of their excitement over the food. There is another kind of head bobbing that only females do and they only do it to males they have chosen as a mate. Their head is tilted to the side and they bob it in a diagonal manner while making an “eh eh eh eh” sound. Many females will also do this to the winner of a drake fight."

I thought it was a mating thing? My drake does it then the female does it, then he pins her down. . .But I am just guessing.
JW

This makes complete sense. Thank you
smile.png

From the San Diege Zoo...

"[COLOR=666666]Head bobbing[/COLOR][COLOR=666666]: Many people wonder about what head bobbing means. It is usually something related to courtship and breeding. Head bobbing straight up and down is usually an invitation to mate or it could also mean that they are excited to see someone they really like. Ducks will often head bob at someone who is about it feed them because of their excitement over the food. There is another kind of head bobbing that only females do and they only do it to males they have chosen as a mate. Their head is tilted to the side and they bob it in a diagonal manner while making an “eh eh eh eh” sound. Many females will also do this to the winner of a drake fight."[/COLOR]
that is so awesome to know I've been wondering myself for awhile I knew that they did this when excited about food but I had been noticing that my susie had done this a lil differently towards one of the drakes ...he is the only 1 tho that she gravitates toward even tho there r 2 other males...guess he's her fave lolz

Neat! Thanks! We don't have a drake, so it can't be that. It definitely could be excitement over food or over seeing their favorite chicken or something :)
I'm going to observe more closely :)

Hi everyone! I am new to backyard chickens and new to owning a duck as well. I have one khaki girl named Olive who was born at the end of March. I've been looking around trying to get more info on what signs to look for to indicate that she's ready to start laying. We have 4 chickens along with her and they are all around the same age, we got our first chicken egg 2 days ago. So just wondering when I should expect eggs from her :) she is a very spoiled, happy duck :)

Back
Top Bottom