The Ko Shamo Thread

Couldn't get a good pic.
84F8EF69-FE5A-4B01-8B23-27C3412EDEBC.jpeg
DFDB8734-FF42-4DFF-AEC1-1B5E583B6DD8.jpeg

Here a red pyle ko shamo x oegb cockerel. I just bought him yesterday. Now, I'm looking for a ko shamo pullet or a oegb pullet for him, maybe both breed.

Need to hand-tamed him more.

Couldn't get a good pic.
View attachment 1823830 View attachment 1823829
Here a red pyle ko shamo x oegb cockerel. I just bought him yesterday. Now, I'm looking for a ko shamo pullet or a oegb pullet for him, maybe both breed.

Need to hand-tamed him more.

Very interesting cross!

Don't worry, he should tame right up for you. I've found kos to be probably the friendliest breed of chicken I have ever had. OEGBs are usually pretty friendly too.

I didn't see a recent or active thread for this great little breed, so I'm making one! They don't seem to be well known. People seem to either love their looks or hate them. Does anyone else raise them?

The Ko Shamo is a true bantam breed originating in Japan. They are an ornamental breed, and they were bred to have the 'spirit of the fighter', though they have never actually been used for such purposes. They are feisty, fierce little birds that don't back down from a challenge. They are exceedingly friendly with humans.

They stand erect, and their proportions should be in thirds - 1/3 head and neck, 1/3 body, and 1/3 legs. They are extremely hard feathered, causing a bare batch down their keels. Whereas in most breeds split wing, a missing primary feather, is a DQ, in ko shamos it is required, and both wings should be split. They should be widest at the shoulders, and should have 'five hills' on the back. They should have a distinctive prawn tail.

Currently only the wheaten color is accepted by the ABA. The ABA SOP can be seen here: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...60aa4a998f3f28bbef/1523129448345/Ko+Shamo.pdf
I have had o shamo and find their personalities so awesome. These guys are too cute. Are they as game as the o shamo?

@welasharon I don't know if people hate them or love them. It's really hard to find them full grown or even hatching eggs. I should start to breed the crosses first. Then, I should find a few ko shamo hens or pullets and breed them to my red pyle cross rooster.

I have had o shamo and find their personalities so awesome. These guys are too cute. Are they as game as the o shamo?

I've never owned o shamos, so I can't compare the two, unfortunately. I can tell you though that the kos are very tame and friendly with humans :) I'm not sure if 'game' was a typo of 'tame' or not.

Look at the first thread on page one or two might in there somewhere about the size.

I owned O Shamo for decades and still owned them. O Shamo are very tame to human, but some are just kind of feisty or wild. The 'game' doesn't come in with shamo, so I think people might have them mess up with other game fowl type or cross the shamo into the game fowl world.

Back
Top Bottom