The Lair....Quilt Central...Woman Cave-New Projects in Progress!

Looking back at the picture of your letter sorter, how much room is behind the unit? Would a narrow roller unit with drawers fit back there? I don't always put the roller feet on when I put a unit up a table or cabinet.....but still have access to the drawers.....just thinking.

I know you don't shop on-line but here are some suggestions:
Found this on a discount furniture co
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com...22&category=230&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

When I taught art classes we used "flat storage units" NASCO is a highly reputable company.
This first one is made of wood but is longer than the one you have
http://www.enasco.com/product/Z42409

This one...same company is made of sturdy corregated crdboard and would hold up to the weight of fabric if it holds a ream of construction paper in each section.
http://www.enasco.com/product/SB45220(X)

Wow, those are definitely cheaper than the ones I found, Kathryn! I used to never shop online, not ever, but now I do shop Amazon occasionally since you can get everything under the sun there (and I have had a few very generous gift cards from there as well). BTW, the room next to my office/quilt room is the bathroom.

Quote:
I thought your little shelf unit was sitting on top of the stair well..thinking there might be enough room behind it on the stair well cover to fit a little drawer unit. Now if you wanted to gut the bathroom and put in wall sized shelving to store your quilting supplies.....I'd say you were more than addicted to quilting!
gig.gif

Yes...You would want to figure in shipping as part of the price when comparing. Knowing you are looking for flat storage...there are hits that will pop up on your search.c

I can move that sorter unit back against the wall as well as put another one on top of it. That stairwell box thingy is a big square, about 40" or so. I just have it sitting out so I don't have to reach for fabric. When I get it all filled up, can push it back. There is a space between my table and my computer desk as well as a space between the table and the design wall on the other end, plus all the room underneath the table (though that is harder to access. I'm emptying out rubbermaid tubs of fabric quickly this way! Those can house small scraps sorted by color family now.
smile.png
I think I can maximize the space in this room very well. The downside is that guests may have to sleep in the basement-there used to be a daybed where the table is, but I quilt much more than I have guests, so it makes more sense to use that space as a work space than as a guest space.

Hey, found one! This is more like it. From Office Max, free shipping, through Amazon, just $59.99. I knew I could find one cheaper than the ones I saw earlier; now have to decide if I can get something even cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/OfficeMax-Lit...fice-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323804548&sr=1-105

It's particleboard covered with melamine type wood grain overlay. The dividers are cardboard like the one I have now. It's pretty sturdy, much more so than the ones that are all corrugated cardboard. I may go ahead and get it-they have only two in stock now and this is just slightly more than I paid for mine about 13-14 years ago.

I got the TOB sale email, but I can't really decide if I like to work with batiks much yet. Guess it's a challenge for me, though I have worked some into projects I've done over the last couple of years.

ETA: Decided not to spend that $$ on that unit. Will look around for something someone is selling really cheap at a flea market or yard sale or giving away.

Last edited:
That's looking really good. I bet you're going to like not having to dig to find what you're looking for.

Plus, it's eye candy!

Last edited:
After remembering this sorter unit in the basement, I got to thinking what else I could have missed down there from my professional days. Look! Found two letter sorters! Still need more room, but I'm closer to having all my fabric out where I can see it. The pinks, grays, blacks, whites, border fabrics and wild florals for watercolor quilts still need a place, but I think I'm really getting somewhere.

DSCN4246.jpg

Back
Top Bottom