the lav silkie that had head trauma thread UPDATED ALL BETTER

OK, I'm caught up.
smile.png

Honestly because he was shipped, I think that intially this has something to do with hydration and stress. Possibly the stress of the trip (and close confinement with bedding in who-knows-what-temperature changes) might have triggered his lowered immune system to allow an underlying illness to crop up. We don't really know, so here's what I propose:

First, I'd make good and sure that he's drinking. I'd use honey and also electrolytes in his water. Pedialyte will work, gatorade will work in a pinch, or poultry electrolytes . Whatever you can get immediately I would use. Mixing with a little honey will build up his energy again and tempt him to continue drinking so he gets the electrolytes back in balance. I'd give that for no less than four days.

Second, continue the polyvisol at a rate of 3-4 drops daily for a week. If you're concerned about neurological issues, giving 1 capsule of vitamin E (400 to 700 IU per capsule) would certainly work in concert with the polyvisol. (Of course, slit the capsule and squeeze the contents into the mouth or onto a piece of bread if he'll eat the whole thing). Do no less than a week.

I'd make sure all of his food and treats are purposeful - nutritionally balanced, and immune boosting. Boiled egg, some plain yogurt, but mostly a base of a really good crumble or pellet that he will eat that is completely nutritionally fortified and balanced. If he won't eat well, moisten it or make a mash with the yogurt, etc. Adding honey to the water with which you make the mash, I find, really helps them to be interested in it.

I'd clear his nares - make sure that he can breathe well. Honestly after shipping, I like VetRx in the nares and in the roof of the mouth of all birds to help reduce any inflammation they got from the trip in their respiratory tract - allow them to breathe better and decrease chances of any infections setting up in there.

I'd give all the others vitamins and probiotics (yogurt or otherwise), too - to build their immunity for their month of quarantine.

Please let us know how your boy is doing, particularly after a good dose of electrolytes. I was also going to suggest clearing his vision with scissors but you're on it.
smile.png
Do watch the shape of his iris carefully. Gold flecks aren't a big deal really - but greying of the area, or misshapen irises get into a different territory. VERY good call checking their responsiveness. I assume they respond the same on both sides? Both irises are the same size?

Quote:
thankyou some of those things I am already doing, and the others I will start right away. he seems in better spirits at least. yes both pupils were the same size, and both dialate
smile.png
I will try these things and keep you updated. Thanks
smile.png

When I was trying to look down the throats of my birds, they acted very similar to what I see your bird doing. He looks like he's digging in and pushing back like he is trying to get freed.

Before you cut his feathers try to tie them up using a small ponytail holder, one of those hair fasteners that is a barrette that flips open and closed depending on how you bend the barrette or a small piece of the 3M blue masking tape. Something that will pull his feathers out of his eyes and away of his face to settle him down.

Lady he is beautiful, I am so sorry he is going through this. I would keep up the good plan of vitamins, keeping the feathers/hair out of his eyes and give him time. I agree with adding some vitamin E....and do not forget your B vitamins...

Good luck with him.

Oh BTW I finally opened the second little coop to put together...it was a mess. The transport gorillas broke the roof! But voile' I have fixed it I do believe. hehehehe Meanwhile It is housing my 8 new babies INSIDE the house without the roof.
ep.gif

7630_hpim5894.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts (sorry) but did watch all the videos - he appearst to be blind or is losing his sight to me. They often will walk backwards like that, and tilt their heads forward & backward like he's doing. Sorry! HOPE he pulls through okay for you!
hugs.gif

I have seen something very similar with one of my own. A few years back I somehow startled one of my younger silkies, he jumped up & landed on his skull. He was startled for a minute, then started the backwards walking.
This went on for a couple of days, I tried everything & before having my neibor put it down, I decided last resort was to use some prednisone in a very low dose. I made a mash of eggs..my birds favorite treat & mixed it in.
It took about a week of this & he was totally normal again & never had a single problem.
My guess was from the head trauma something swelled, pressed on some nerve & thats what was causing the neurological problems.

good luck

POLIVISOL!!!!!!!!

It's probably a vitamin deficiency. I've saved birds who were having convulsions and also wry necked by just doing polivisol. Give it to him for a week direct in the mouth, not in his water. Do mix broiler booster in his water though, add some sugar. Get him on high protein feed, give meat and fat too.

Oh thanks everyone. I think he is getting better I have been doing all the vitamins and treatments. I saw him walk a bit and eat on his own and I thought that was good.
smile.png

I am also goin to try the ponytail thing as even with the trim he is having a hard time seeing I think. he just has a huge fluffy crest, he really is an awesome bird
big_smile.png

Ok just picked him up and he is all swollen. as if there is air under his skin.

My SG had that once after a dog attack and after I used high pressure washing to get the maggot eggs off of her (she is fine) any way she went to the vet the next day and he said that ist would go down, but this seems like a lot of air and I cant help but think I should try to make a small hole and get it out before it squeezed his lungs too much.

What could have caused this? he is so fluffy I could not find any puncture marks on him but will look again.

I am very confused as to what on earth happened. I am sure it happened in the shipping, but how do I fix it.

also I got blood builder for chickens and am putting that in his water as it has everything needed to boost his vitamins and lots of iron that they can have. Got it from First State Vet.

Back
Top Bottom