the lav silkie that had head trauma thread UPDATED ALL BETTER

Did the vet think the feeling of the air under the skin in your other birds was related to the excitement or adrenaline the bird experienced?

That might be why you see these symptoms in this roo. The roo in the movie clips appeared stressed, tired, and frightened. I would try to reassure him he is okay, even some Bach's Flower Rescue Remedy (which is okay in cats and dogs, 27% alcohol) to calm him down, pull pack his feathers so he can see, with some lap time to get his heart rate down.

If there's swelling under the skin, it's either one of two things.

Either there was an injury (to skin or bone) that is causing the air inflation, or there is a bacterial disease causing the air pockets and limping (M. synoviae). You can deflate that air by sterilizing a hypodermic needle and sticking it into the pocket, pulling the air out. YOu'll have to do that daily as it will refill and eventually stop refilling. That will help the symptom, not the cause. You've felt his legs, yes, and felt that definitely they're all solid - not broken? Was he in a box with other birds while shipping?

In the former case, it's likely that the puncture is closed, maybe an airsac was burst, and now the only thing you can really do it treat the swelling symptoms without a vet's care. In the latter case, you'll want to feel his joints and compare them to other birds. Do they feel larger, warmer, enlarged particularly around the hocks? Where exactly is the swelling, as exact a description as you can give, please?

In the mean time, I would use the blood builder only as dr. Brown recommends and no more. Lean heavily on your good nutrition and see if maybe those vitamins, etc, don't help his immune system to hopefully overcome whatever he's doing.

Did you say he's walking better though, yes?

he was walking better yesterday but today he seems worse.

I have needles (cause I vacinate) so where should I put it? I will check again for swelling around the joints and stuff.

he was by himself in the box, the other 2 pullets were together in the other box. Standard Horizin boxes taped together.

I am at a loss but his swelling is everywhere his neck, back sides and belly, its like there is an inch of air between his this skin and his muscle and organs. His breathing is heavy too as I can see it clearly.

Threehorses can you show a pic or tell me where I should put the needle, and do I draw back or just pop it so to speak... should I just do it where it is most swollen or there seems to be the most air?

Quote:
I would find the puffiest place and put it there. The place where you're least likely to run into flesh underneath. You may have to do two or three spots if the swelling is under the skin. Likely if he has infected air sacs, he might have a respiratory infection. In this case, I would consider giving him Tylan50 injections for three days. Are you able to get that? Or do you have anything else there on hand? Duramycin10? Lincomycin?

When you poke the needle.... in the puffiest place, so whatever place looks the most ballooned, then you will draw back to actually pull air out of the puffy spot. You're deflating his 'balloon' so that it doesn't unnecessarily stretch the skin and cause pain.

i only have the antibiotic the dr gave me when my sg was bitten, I will use that since the PO is closed on Monday and I wont be able to get any around here.
I am going to deflate him after I finish making dinner and feed ds.

Thankyou so much, I will report back afterwards.

I do hope he will be ok :) waiting on good news!!!
thumbsup.gif

There is no name on the antibiotic but the weight of the birds are about the same, he just had his second dose.

I sucked air out of 5 places and it seemed to help a little, but he is still very swollen.
he sounds crunchy when I touch him, at first I thought I found a break but then when I went to compare the crunchy sound is all over as if the air is causing it.

his crop is pretty empty I am trying to get him to eat. I will force feed him tomorrow if need be but I would rather see him do it as he has before.

I hope he makes it through the night
fl.gif

Quote:
If there's no name on it, don't do it. You need a specific antibiotic for this - all others will just lower his immune system further and potentially cause a super bug.

Good on the air - he'll be swollen, but keep doing it. The crunching is the air in there. That's the sound that is textbook for subcutaneous air. Even if you can't see it, you can use that noise to recognize its presence.

On the feeding, use stuff that is easily digested and in a paste form instead of dry or wet. If you could get parrot formula (the powder for starting baby parrots) that stuff is great as it has probiotics, minerals, vitamins, all balanced. I hope he makes it, too - he's an awesome looking bird.

If he doesn't, please know everyone loses some. We lost one tonight in fact and I'm not sure I really ever get used to that happening.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom