The Legbar Thread!

At what age would you put pullets in with a laying flock? I have 3 3.5 month old Legbar hens. One has a red comb and wattles going on, though they aren't full grown yet. They are slated to go into my laying Legbar pen but is 3.5 months old too young?
I go with them being at least 3/4 the size of the older girls, then of course introduce them slowly.

Deb

They are quite close in size. The pullets might be slightly smaller.
Then I would go ahead and try to introduce. I go with the putting them into the coop at night when everyone is asleep. Then they'll wake up and say..............."Who the heck are you, have you been here all along?".

gig.gif

Deb

To all those concerned about stolen pictures, there is a Photoshop plugin that put s a digital watermark on your pictures. When someone tries to right click and steal it they get a message that tells them it is protected matieril. If they use it anyway you can find out because you can do a search for your images based on your Digimarc ID. It will find your pictures on the web. I put out the $99 for the professional version for a year because it made me sick to see someone accepting compliments for how "gorgeous" my Isbars were. I didn't want her maiking money off my birds!

Does anybody on this thread have Cream Legbar chicks for sale right now & is willing to ship? I have had terrible luck with shipped eggs & am giving up on that. I just want to buy some chicks at this point. Send me a PM if you have some for sale. thanks!

Does anybody on this thread have Cream Legbar chicks for sale right now & is willing to ship? I have had terrible luck with shipped eggs & am giving up on that. I just want to buy some chicks at this point. Send me a PM if you have some for sale. thanks!
I bought mine from Richard Jordan of Jordan farms. He shipped to the Northwest from Georgia.

I have purchased live birds from madamwlf - she did a great job packing and sending them. I think she still has some available.

Just thought I'd give an update. My cockerel I hatched from Mary is named Rupert, he is growing well but looks non-crested. I put some eggs from a hen that is with my legbar rooster in the incubator just to see if he is fertile, sure enough he is very fertile at only 4 months. Ingrid my pullet looks like she will be laying anytime now, her comb is getting huge and red.

Just thought I'd give an update. My cockerel I hatched from Mary is named Rupert, he is growing well but looks non-crested. I put some eggs from a hen that is with my legbar rooster in the incubator just to see if he is fertile, sure enough he is very fertile at only 4 months. Ingrid my pullet looks like she will be laying anytime now, her comb is getting huge and red.
My rooster is also uncrested but throws crested males and females with varying crest sizes. I am going to grow some out and see if I can get one with his coloring as I love his cream hackle and saddle but with a crest and staighter comb. My juvie replacement rooster from Greenfire is also uncrested. I was soooooo disappointed that the other had to be put down, he had a beautiful crest. I am hoping my juvie pullet will also start laying soon - she is reddening up pretty good also - then i will try hatching some of her eggs as she has a really impressive crest and creamier hackles than my current layer. At some point I just gotta stop hatching eggs.
So far my chicks have been pretty recognizable at hatch for auto-sexing but on the other thread there are some chicks that are a bit "amorphous" looking. I am curious to see what my other girl throws.

cwalden, that sucks about her stealing your photos. I'm glad she took them down, but I'd still be awfully ticked.

That photoshop digital thing is a cool idea, if I did more professional work, I'd definitely do it. At this point for me, I just watermark my pictures in such a way as to make it nearly impossible to photoshop it out. I don't do it to all, but to anything that I think could possibly be attractive to steal. For example, here's one of my blue laced red wyandottes that I hatched in Feb:

My legbars are coming along. Very slowly. My cockerel is all white, no crest. Female has a crest, and I think she's just a doll. I don't think she's anywhere near laying though. I think she's 4 months old. She still seems quite small compared to my RIR and wyandottes hatched in Feb. Are they a smaller breed in general?

Back
Top Bottom