The Legbar Thread!

I just LOVE the discussion about standardizing the CLB here in the US. I would love to be involved, I can't devote unlimited time but would be willing to do SOMETHING if needed.

Quote: You could give her fertile eggs as you are not hatching? How many chickens did she loose?

I think she is asking a lot unless she is a really good friend. I would not be comfortable, especially if she lost the first lot, she could "loose" yours too . Maybe you would want to sell them to her? Alternatively there is always ebay.......

We finally have the cream legbars up on our farm website and I was able to get a pic of my pair. So here is my pair of pure cream legbars for everyone to see since I haven't posted a pic of them since I got them this spring as little chicks.

Ok, I'm not sure I completely love the UK standards, but it is an excellent framework. A club could adapt these standards until a future ratification (using a measurable mechanism like x years or x number of members). I think I'd be interested in being part of a working group that looks (with you all) at how a club is set up and what people want from a club. If we start a new thread and give a month timeframe for input. I am offering to collect comments and or decisions and organize them by topic and write an outline towards a draft proposal. I'd like to say I have no poultry club experience and if there is someone with specific experience, please step forward. I'm offering what I think I might do best in the short term. Like others I suspect we all might be wary of longer term commitments, but let's get started!

I'm calling out ChicKat, GaryDean, Sheriff, Phage, DirtFarmer, FlyingMonkeyPoop, Blackbird13. Please forgive me if I didn't specifically call your name out. I lost my first writing, this is a rewrite. I know there are others, so please anyone can put names in the hat. Where do you want to go with this?
I second the motion.

I vote no to lending, and we could walk to each others house to lend, lol. Bio-security needs to be a top concern with the wonderful breeds you have. We can hopefully trade some LB eggs next spring. On a different note, the FBCMs have hatched. PM or email me to schedule a time to come over and try feather sexing a couple of males, gratas for you so come get 'em!
I'm not lending. It took me aback at first when it came up and I was so against it instantly but was interested if others did such things. I am growing out some CLB chicks I hatched - 17 total and then will need to cull down - I am hoping for 2 decent roosters as keepers and not sure how many girls I'll hold onto. Depends on how they turn out but I'm loving the crests on a few of them a lot. It'll be a few years before I get close to where I want to be. I have five Marans girls (4 if my girl with the impacted crop keeps it up). I have the 5 Chocolate Bantams - Fat Albert is crowing but his crow is really not too bad at all. Atticus my Jubilee boy, part of my trio, is gonna be huge (wonder how his crow will turn out) and with 2 CLB's I don't think the hubby will go for my wanting a Marans rooster...we'll see
wink.png
. I have 2 boys I'm growing out and that guy in Hollis has offered me one of his Cottage Hill boys but not sure I want to add anybody from outside at this point.

I'm going to watch the chicks for type as they grow and for down color and adult color comparisons. I was looking over GaryDean's pics on the Yahoo site and am curious about the color of the down on the boys neck and it's relationship to the chestnut color on the top area of the hackles and then overall hackle color as it seems to look as if the ones with the darkest necks had more chestnut in their upper hackle area.

I am open to participating in this new endeavor towards standardizing and/or registry. I am also very good with Photoshop, raster or vector images but my web skill are rusty. What shall we call the new thread - Cream Legbar SOP Working Group

United States of America Cream Legbar Scoping for Standard of Perfection Announced

Action: Notice of Intent to Draft in the United States of America a Standard of Perfection for Cream Legbar for Presentation to the American Poultry Association.

Summary: Announce the opportunity for involvement to create a cream legbar breed club and draft a proposal to designate a breed standard recognized by the American Poultry Association. The Cream Legbar is a breed of British origin, recognized by the Poultry Club of Great Britain and found in the British Poultry Standards. Currently, no comparable standard or recognition exists in the USA.

Purpose: To maintain uniformity and provide an ideal of perfection for the cream legbar for the purpose of breed recognition and long-term conservation.

Solicited: All interested parties are asked to participate in public to promote comments and review. An informal Cream Legbar Working Group is established on the thread Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection.

Dates: An initial 30 day comment period is open. Comments are to be posted via the thread, Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection, on or before November 3, 2012.

Last edited:
United States of America Cream Legbar Scoping for Standard of Perfection Announced

Action: Notice of Intent to Draft in the United States of America a Standard of Perfection for Cream Legbar for Presentation to the American Poultry Association.

Summary: Announce the opportunity for involvement to create a cream legbar breed club and draft a proposal to designate a breed standard recognized by the American Poultry Association. The Cream Legbar is a breed of British origin, recognized by the Poultry Club of Great Britain and found in the British Poultry Standards. Currently, no comparable standard or recognition exists in the USA.

Purpose: To maintain uniformity and provide an ideal of perfection for the cream legbar for the purpose of breed recognition and long-term conservation.

Solicited: All interested parties are asked to participate in public to promote comments and review. An informal Cream Legbar Working Group is established on the thread Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection.

Dates: An initial 30 day comment period is open. Comments are to be posted via the thread, Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection, on or before November 3, 2012.
add me to list Evelyn T. Bowers aka omaeve from Virginia

Back
Top Bottom