The Legbar Thread!

I see $45 a female and $15 a male in my area, Northern CA. Really, you'll know in a few weeks whether folks are interested or not. I just hatched chicks and have some for sell. The price point is normal for those who have researched and want this breed, but high if you just want chicks or blue egg layers. I like to drop price for trios or multiples. Depending on your needs trading is a lot of fun! The other day, a friend exchanged a couple of her husband's wood turned wine bottle stoppers for trio. Good deal on both ends. We both left with smiles!
Out of curiousity, how much does an general purpose laying pullet/hen go for in your area as a comparison? I see any breed laying hens (BR,Orp,SL etc) advertised for an average of $15 on CL in my area and typically the dark egg layers more like $20. So I was thinking maybe there would be a rule of thumb like double the price of dark egg layers or something as the price will vary by region.

Out of curiousity, how much does an general purpose laying pullet/hen go for in your area as a comparison?  I see any breed laying hens (BR,Orp,SL etc) advertised for an average of $15 on CL in my area and typically the dark egg layers more like $20. So I was thinking maybe there would be a rule of thumb like double the price of dark egg layers or something as the price will vary by region.

I can sell a laying Marans hen for 30-35 but my egg color is quite good. I know most layers here on CL sell from 15-25 depending on the party asking. I think it also depends on your buyer. We have quite a few breeders in this area who know what they're paying for when it comes to Ameraucanas vs EEs and quality Marans etc. We also have a huge backyard population in Portland who can't have roosters so some prefer to pay more for an established hen or sexed pullet so they don't have to deal with rehoming a cockerel

Out of curiousity, how much does an general purpose laying pullet/hen go for in your area as a comparison? I see any breed laying hens (BR,Orp,SL etc) advertised for an average of $15 on CL in my area and typically the dark egg layers more like $20. So I was thinking maybe there would be a rule of thumb like double the price of dark egg layers or something as the price will vary by region.

Laying hens of popular breeds, usually sex-links and barred rocks, are often $5. Whole flocks are sometimes free when the owner is getting out of chickens.

Black Copper Marans are the most-hyped rare breed here, with Coronation and Light Sussex next. I don't see laying hens of those breeds advertised very often. I've seen chicks ranging from $4 - $8 apiece. I sold a trio of non-hatchery Sussexes (hens laying) for $25.

Data mainly from Craigslist.

Thanks ayeupchuck and normanack for your replies. As I suspected it does vary a lot from region to region. Recently large organic farm just north of here went belly up. They had a huge number of patured hens and after word got out they had to euthanize a large number to stretch the feed for the younger ones, someone organized an adopt-a-thon and folks lined up to adopt them for $8 each. Adopted out over a thousand in a day.

Last edited:
Hello club members!

Then Second Quarterly Meeting of the Cream Legbar Club will be held on Saturday, April 20, 2013, at 6:30 AM PST, 7:30 AM MST, 8:30 AM CST, 9:30 AM EST through www.anymeeting.com. The meeting will last for one hour although once it concludes the meeting will be left open for those who want to visit and chat. I know it is a little early for those of you on the west coast but we will try to vary the meeting times each quarter so the time difference will not overly burden any one time zone. I will open a 30 minute orientation meeting the evening before on Friday, April 19, 2013 at 6 PM PST, 7 PM MST, 8 PM CST, 9 PM EST. It is HIGHLY SUGGESTED you attend the orientation meeting if you were not present at the first quarterly meeting, so that any problems with computer connections, phone connections, etc. can be worked out. I will send out your invitation to the meeting the week before as well as a link to the meeting guide although you can find it in the clubhouse. PLEASE NOTE only full members whose dues are paid will be invited to attend the meeting and able to vote if we have any vote items. If you wish to upgrade your membership you can go the the temporary website, fill out the form, and pay by paypal. Memberships must be paid by 6 PM CST on Friday, April 19th if you wish to attend the meeting.

ALSO this is a CALL FOR ARTICLES for our quarterly newsletter- anything chicken related or applicable is welcome. Articles will be due to Anne Norman (our newsletter editor) by April 13, 2013. Look for another e-mail within a few days with details about submission requirements. Each submission will earn two Prize Points towards the quarterly prize; if your article is published you will earn five additional points.

We do still need a few more people to help you out with the club, so I thought I would remind anyone who has been thinking about it that you get 10 Prize Points for chairing a committee, and 5 for helping on a committee! Check out the list and send me an e-mail if you want to help!

I look forward to seeing you at the meeting! Let me know if anyone has any questions!

cleardot.gif

Rinda Myers
secretary

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the professional and dedicated approach of the founders of the new cream legbar club. You are doing an awesome job!

I can sell a laying Marans hen for 30-35 but my egg color is quite good. I know most layers here on CL sell from 15-25 depending on the party asking. I think it also depends on your buyer. We have quite a few breeders in this area who know what they're paying for when it comes to Ameraucanas vs EEs and quality Marans etc. We also have a huge backyard population in Portland who can't have roosters so some prefer to pay more for an established hen or sexed pullet so they don't have to deal with rehoming a cockerel
If you have time, I would love to see a pic of your crested cream legbars

I've been lurking this thread for a while now, I have a pair of Legbars that I hatched out in September of last year. I was very lucky, I only got three eggs and two hatched, A PAIR! Now they have grown quite a bit and I think the hen is getting very close to laying I was wondering how they are looking. And thanks ahead for any critiques :)

Here is my boy, he is very protective over his hens (I have a tetra tint hen in with him too, and her eggs are fertile
yesss.gif
)

A closer shot of him, he had a very small crest as a chick too

Here he is with the hen, he won't let her out of his site, she has a little crest going on

These are the best shot I could get of her

Back
Top Bottom