The Legbar Thread!

As I was staring at birds like I so often do these days, I noticed a few very nice pullets out there that have the tails I have envisioned since I got my first legbars. I am finally down to 6 older legbar cockerels but still have 20+ younger birds that are still in the shed and not moved outside yet. Something I have noticed is that some of my pullets have giant crests, the size of hatchery polish bantams almost. Some folks may like the look but they're not for me. I plan to let all of the pullets (with the exception of obvious culls) grow up for another month or two before I start culling them. Some of the giant crested girls could be mated to a smooth headed male I guess if I end up keeping one.

About the mixes- I have obviously done the legbar x leghorn mix but also legbar x phoenix for another project, and we also ended up with a few legbottes. They are from a legbar hen that escaped and mingled with our splash laced red wyandotte. The cockerels are all blue and red with obvious barring in the hackle/saddle and slight hints in the wings/tail/breast. The pullets we sold as easter eggers and I kept a rooster around just for fun, figure I can use him in a different project if I have enough pen space.

Question. Just to be curious, I recently acquired a dozen eggs that came from hens that came from Greenfire Farms. The lady bought the baby chicks direct from Greenfire. Ok, I hatched 6 of the 12, 5 hens and a rooster. Very beautiful birds I must say. They are now 3 weeks old and doing great. My question is this because I am new to this breed, how much would one expect to pay for 5 hens and a rooster. Im just curious to see how my investment is has turned out and by the way I was able to get another dozen eggs and they are currently under a broody hen. Thanks.

Thanks for that. Here it is in the first few days.
and at about 8 weeks. I understand it is not a very good example of CL but still nice to know whether to call it Stu or Sue!!
Definitely a Sue, but she is almost definitely a Cream Legbar cross. Yay for blue or green eggs though!
Question. Just to be curious, I recently acquired a dozen eggs that came from hens that came from Greenfire Farms. The lady bought the baby chicks direct from Greenfire. Ok, I hatched 6 of the 12, 5 hens and a rooster. Very beautiful birds I must say. They are now 3 weeks old and doing great. My question is this because I am new to this breed, how much would one expect to pay for 5 hens and a rooster. Im just curious to see how my investment is has turned out and by the way I was able to get another dozen eggs and they are currently under a broody hen. Thanks.
This varies on your area of the country and the quality of the birds... In my area 3 week old Cream Legbars go for about $35 per pullet, $10 for the cockerel. You can't tell much about their quality at that age though unfortunately so it's a gamble.
Legbotte seriously rocks.
X2!

Cream Legbar/Silkie crosses? Maybe. I'm sending pictures of my crossbreed chicks to Marvin for breed ID. I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, here is my first Easter Legger (Cream Legbar rooster, Easter Egger hen):

someone posted some pics of a Ameraucana project where they tried to make the bird look like it had the coloration of an eagle. This one looks like those did but cooler.

I have a CL pullet around 3 mo. old that is driving me crazy. I noticed her eyes looked funny. The inner eye lid was not retracting completely and she was scratching at it. I quarantened her and started putting terramycin cream in her eyes. She still scratched and scratched. I used Vetrx in case it was eyeworms which we seldom have in our area...still did not help. She would scratch to the point of their bleeding. I finally put paddles on her feet which stopped the scratching and kept putting the terramyicin in. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions what to do. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now and I feel so sorry for her. I clean her eyes with an eye ointment that is suppose to be soothing before the cream. I have started her on sulmet in case there is some type of infection. I am at my wits end at this point. Any help is surely appreciated.

Oh so sorry to hear... sounds like you are doing the right things. Have you tried flushing her eye well with saline solution in case something is lodged under her eyelid? Maybe someone else will chime in. Have you tried listing a thread in the emergencies section? There are folks who watch for posts and will help if they can.

I have a CL pullet around 3 mo. old that is driving me crazy. I noticed her eyes looked funny. The inner eye lid was not retracting completely and she was scratching at it. I quarantened her and started putting terramycin cream in her eyes. She still scratched and scratched. I used Vetrx in case it was eyeworms which we seldom have in our area...still did not help. She would scratch to the point of their bleeding. I finally put paddles on her feet which stopped the scratching and kept putting the terramyicin in. Does anyone have any idea or suggestions what to do. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now and I feel so sorry for her. I clean her eyes with an eye ointment that is suppose to be soothing before the cream. I have started her on sulmet in case there is some type of infection. I am at my wits end at this point. Any help is surely appreciated.

I wishnI had an answer. . . Maybe this will help?
University of Florida bulletin on Eye Disorders of Poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Or look up ciloxan, and vetericyn . . .

Last edited:

I have had two EE pullets with similar issues. Nothing helped. The eye never looked inflamed (very red and angry), just partially covered by the inner lid. Occasionally, there was a soap bubble drainage but never infectious looking. I assumed it was a hatchery EE genetic problem.

Back
Top Bottom