The Legbar Thread!

So there is supposed to be a sliver of white on the V on the pullets head? I don't think I knew that. Do you have pics to show this?
Although the camera angle is a littlel funny....it kind of shows up in this one:

The following wording is from a website that is quoting the Poultry Club of Great Britain's Standard (PCGB):
"Downs, Female (Cream): Silver-grey type. The stripe should be very dark brown, extending over the head, neck and rump. The edges of the stripe should be clearly defined, not blurred and blending with ground colour - the sharper the contrast, especially over the rump the better. The stripe should be broad; a narrow or discontinuous stripe should be avoided. A light head patch should be visible, clearly defined in outline, showing up brightly against the dark background.

Male: The down is much paler in tint, the pattern being blurred and washed out from head to rump; it may best be described as pale silvery-slaty."

It seems kind of strange - the PCGB doesn't mention the white head splotch on the male - nor the dark eye-liner on the female....

ETA - sometimes my females have it and sometimes they don't - often it looks more like a little bit of frost tipped -- or like someone took a dry paint brush and just touched the head.

Here is the same chick a couple of weeks later - she was just starting to get her crest -- but I think you can make out the V and the light part

Below is the boy who is was on the left in the first picture---his head blotch was hidden by the warmer:
LL

Last edited:
I am pulling my hair out already! Running out of banding combinations. I should have made multiple brooders or I should say more than 2 brooders.

I use different colored sharpie combinations on their belly down and or head. It lasts for 3 weeks and can be reapplied. By then you may have a banding scheme for older birds set out. It also saves on banding tiny chicks, and avoids problems of bands falling off.

It has simplified operations a great deal when busy!

I use different colored sharpie combinations on their belly down and or head. It lasts for 3 weeks and can be reapplied. By then you may have a banding scheme for older birds set out. It also saves on banding tiny chicks, and avoids problems of bands falling off.

It has simplified operations a great deal when busy!
I did not realize Sharpies work on chick down. However, most of my chick's down is really dark, I will test. Thanks!

Historically CCLs were bred from Barred Plymouth rocks,which are black when they hatch. You must have a hen or rooster (or both) that are throwing the Plymouth rock coloration and the chick is black. Do they start to show barring as they get older? Too bad it probably isn't auto-sexing.

Historically CCLs were bred from Barred Plymouth rocks,which are black when they hatch.  You must have  a hen or rooster (or both) that are throwing the Plymouth rock coloration and the chick is black.  Do they start to show barring as they get older?  Too bad it probably isn't auto-sexing.  
I'll get back to you on the feathering. Not sure. The last ones that hatched like this I sold as BY mix

Historically CCLs were bred from Barred Plymouth rocks,which are black when they hatch. You must have a hen or rooster (or both) that are throwing the Plymouth rock coloration and the chick is black. Do they start to show barring as they get older? Too bad it probably isn't auto-sexing.

Its a good thought to look at possible throwbacks. However in this case, the down colors are telling us that most likely E locus the parent (or one parent at least) stock carries is a dominant pattern and thus unlikely passed on as a hidden trait. The black chick down will come from the dominant E locus (E or ER--Birchen). Here is a nifty genetics guide with pictures that you might find useful, at least I sure did because of all the pictures: http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_elocus

Back
Top Bottom