The Legbar Thread!

I wanted to share the result from my Cream Legbar Hatch a few days ago.

Background: All of the eggs were home grown from our three Cream Legbar Flocks. Liam and Ice were both hatched on Greenfire Farm from their 2011 flocks (B & C respectivly). Blaze is our 2013 breeding cockerel that was breed on Pollo Poco Farm in Oklahoma from stock from Greenfire Farms. Blaze was paired with hens from Greenfire Farm's 2011 flock "A" as well as three pullets that were offspring from one hen paired with Liam and one hen paired with Ice.

Results: - 100% of the pullets from Blaze were the light down color. We only got one cockerel that was the light down color (shown in photo). We got 3 dark downed cockerels (not shown).
- Large head patches were visible on the pullets from Ice. Both cockerels and pullets had the dark down type.
- We only got pullet in this hatch from Liam. They also were the dark down type, but I was able to distinguish them from the pullets from Ice because the stripes were more a tan color from Liam and more a white color from Ice. Liam's chicks also seamed to have more a brown tone to the dark down than Ice's chicks.

Conclusion: The fact that 100% of the pullets and only 1/4 of the cockerels from Blaze were the light color seems to support the theory that the down type is a result of the sex-linked barring type. It also is telling me that at least one of the hens is that pen is carrying the light type. :)

Follow-up: I already know one hen that is carrying the light type because I did a test hatch with three eggs from each of the two foundation hens just a week after they were moved to the 2013 breeding pen with Blaze. I hatched the eggs in separate compartments in the incubator and one hen produced a light and dark colored cockered (The light surely sired by Blaze and the Dark possible by Blaze or Ice) and the other produced two dark Pullets (Both pullets I am guessing sired by Liam) and a darck cockerel (which could be sired by Liam or Blaze). Below is a photos of the cockerel from the test hatch with a pullet from the other hen next to it.

Every hatch is a new lesson to be learned!!!

GaryDean26, Can you show us the Blaze male chick with a larger photo? The chick seems almost like it has some slate blue to it. Of course these are not a cream legbars, but this is the slate blue color tone I see within the back stripping on your new Blaze cockerel.

Last year, just arrived chicks. Even though there is some variation, I don't think you'd say anything but dark on the down in my original stock.

This is my most recent boy dominate hatch. I no longer have a working camera, so these guys did not get lots of photos. What's here, my 7 year old took. Do you notice the very different male? Seems like I only have one blurry close shot of him. What do you think about the reddish brown and slate blue? Is this what yours is like?

Last edited:
Yikes, I better post some chicks or something. Too many lengthy posts. How about an evening shot, and a blurry one of my soon to be mama goat trimming some hedges? Both she and my other are due ~May 23, likely sooner and with multiples (if all goes well). I'm bursting with anticipation of baby goats!

lol some how i got my pics in your quote box. my babies, hours old and then a few weeks old.

So I have this lighter male. Please look at, I see lots of red and slate blue. My guess is he will have some chestnut. Lonnyandrinda, showed a nice set of comparison photos on the Cream Legbars thread. Her more similar lighter male chick appears to have chestnut is this wings. Those who have more cream in their roos, is this what they looked like upon arrival, or even more silvery, less red? At some point I believe there may have been a post from the Sheriff on her new cream legbars from the newest Greenfire Farms line. I'll have to hunt for those. Anyone know which thread they were posted. Thanks.

Let me repost a few of those for anyone who didn't see them:

Pinky on left. Yellow band boy on right (note the browning/chestnut cast?). Boy in middle I did not keep.

Yellow band boy

Pinkie.

I'm not sure if I will keep yellow band boy to maturity. Pinkie is sticking around though.

I don't know if Mary TheSheriff posted pics anywhere else, but I know she shared her new GFF chicks on Stella's Social Club thread a few weeks ago, might do a search in that thread.

Back
Top Bottom