The Legbar Thread!

kinda strange to get all these light grey chicks from the more gold looking hens and the dark down males from the only cream looking hen i have.

Very Handsome roo!

...and yum. I hope it wasn't squeaking when it went down. They are such velociraptors.

Last edited:
For all of the folks on this side, remember there are regulations for importing animals and animal products. An importation permit must be obtained ($150) and the shipment must not only be accompanied by the proper paperwork, but then inspected by a USDA vet at port of entry (cost varies, minimum $40 but may be more depending on time and after hours/weekend price)--so Habib's Hens will need to fly in to one of those ports for the inspection then carry on from there once past the gate-keeper.

Hmmm... I wonder if I can help out with this. I have a close family member who works as a state veterinary epidemiologist for the USDA APHIS.

If Habibs Hens wants to come to the Kansas City area, he can visit with both cjwaldon and myself!

My birds shredded the only mouse I have seen them get - it lasted a few seconds
sickbyc.gif

I think there is a lot to be proven still with the theories involving chick down color and it's relationship to adult coloring. Vorwerks, for example, hatch out as black chicks with yellow heads, and evolve into yellow birds with black heads. Hard to believe the barring gene would affect the amount of chestnut coloration, just the barring itself. My oldest two pullets looked identical when hatched, but now one is much lighter than the other.

Hmmm... I wonder if I can help out with this. I have a close family member who works as a state veterinary epidemiologist for the USDA APHIS.

If Habibs Hens wants to come to the Kansas City area, he can visit with both cjwaldon and myself!  
and myself as well im close enough to make that trip with no problem at all :D

Nicalandia has postulated that the dark boys have the wrong barring gene, I think it's earlier in this thread. They also seem to feather out with more chestnut. W e are getting the same advice from UK breeders, that the dark boys won't grow up to anything good color wise. I'm not 100% sure as I'm not saving boys quite yet but I will save a dark one or two when I am ready to see if it's right. Love all the wonderful help with people tracking things down, but rather than believe everything I read I want to do some breeding and raising myself and test the theories.
while this is true, this is assuming both birds, Dark Barring and Light Barring have the same amount of red enhancers, there should not be any or much red enhancers

Another Theory brought by GaryDean26 is that some of the Dilution Genes found on the "Buff Leghorn" made it to the "Cream Creasted Legbar" while I regard this as Highly Unlikely we should take a closer look to it... just fur fun...

what do we know about Dominant Dilute?

1. first Isolated on the Buff Minorca
2. Incompletely dominant and sex influenced(heterozygous males dont show dilution, heterozygous females show dilution but less than homozygous birds)
3. Dilutes the Chicks down(important here)

and based on my limited breeding experience it will Turn Blue into a "Lavender type" this is also seen on Dane Honour breeding of his Buff leghorns to wildtype long tails to produce buff longtails.... so when in presence of a eumelanin diluter like blue or Barring I would also guess. it will dilute them too, this is not the case when the bird is fully black

Here some info on Dilute

affects chick down(scan from Poultry Breeding and genetics by R. D Crawford)

now to the Breeding efforts by me, Dan Honour and a Dear friend of mine at the Coop(Htul)

this is ¨Second¨ Back cross to Buff Cochin, note two types of Blues, Dark Blue and LIght Blue, the Light Blue male is ER/eWh heterozyous for the blue and heterozyfous for the Dilute gene. the Dark Blue pullet lacks the Dilute gene..

at a later age(roo)

now to Danne Honours a 40+ Buff leghorn Breeder. lets check his Results...

Danne Honours knows how hard is to keep good rich buff leghorn color, as he knows that breeding light colored buffs with each other will only produce even lighter colored buffs, so what he and other do? breed to dark colored buffs, so in essence what is he doing is keeping the known Diluters on buff leghorns like Di, Cb(Dilute and Champagne Blond) and blue(Bl/bl+) in heterozygous form by cross breeding light colored buffs(homozygous for diluters) to dark buff birds(heterozygous or lacking) that are too dark to be shown.. just keep that in mind,

Acording to Dann Honour(Brian Reeder doing the genetic assessment) his Buff Leghorns carry the following genes..

eWh(Wheaten)
Db(Darkbrown)
Mh(Mahogany)
Cb(Champagne Blond dominant diluter)
Di(Dominant Dilute)
I(dominant white, but according to my breeding efforts I believe it could very well be Blue or a Blue like gene)

here are his results..(2006 using Wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/20060208033027/http://www.panopliageneticus.com/testmatingwheaten.html )

what did we learned from such cross? that a bird without mahogany and Di can look very diluted even more so if it has Cb, unfortunately Dann was trying to get to a Buff LongTail bird not to isolate the Di or Cb birds..

now to my Friend Htul birds.. He may have found how does Heterozygous and Homozygous look on wildtype looking females without Co or Db..

Heterozygous Females..(take a closer look at the washed out look of the left pullets, Cream does not do this)

now Homozygous Dilute Mother(father was not Dilute but carry red enhancers)

So I make this Question.... are the "Diluted light Barred CCL" that look near Silver or Silver looking are they Cream and Dilute working together? as Unlikely as it may sound, it makes sense, at least genetically, whats the probability of such make up? its beeing very difficult for me to isolate the gene, but then again I´m not a genetic God like Dr. Punnet or Dr. Pease

any questions? P.M or post them here

Back
Top Bottom