The Legbar Thread!

Okay, this is pen Gold-A
They were hard to capture together. Macduff is just a smidgen less cream than Macduff but hard to discen. His tail is more squirrel. He has a crest with a nice comb. His hens are 2 gold and 2 cream. The gold hens lay my largest eggs. My original GFF girl's eggs are jumbo so I'm going to try very hard to keep her genes in the pool as her daughter lays a comparable one also.

and this is going to be pen New-B. Macbeth has a better tail angle and a crest but just a slight twist in the comb at the rear but he is all cream. His girls are all cream. The Jubilee pullet is in there until she's big enough to go into the Jubilee pen. That boy is huge so don't want to risk her yet plus she and the new line pullet were shipped together from GFF and i don't have the heart to separate them yet.

and some chick pics - hard to believe I culled so many chicks in all of this. Some of the girls are true cream and others are more tinted. There are 4 boys and 1 white female legbar and a Jubilee chick (male I believe) in there also.

So I'm going to start incubating the 2 pens in about a month and see what the differences are. Looking forward to seeing how the boys turn out. I'd like to eventually have 3 or 4 different pens if possible. I have 2 more batches of chicks in 2 other brooders and a batch going into lockdown today. I'm not really that good at hatching yet. I just cannot seem to get the humidity thing down but I've decided to not help any out this hatch no matter what. Just so glad to have everyone back on line and ready to get back to working on making better legbars.
big_smile.png

Love that story and your amazing duck. -- I think that the second picture looks like a 'old masters' because of the golden lighting. You should enter it in the Cream Legbar Club Cutest Chick contest which BTW closes on the 30th of JUNE...if you aren't a club member -- joining is easy. ;O)
I will join if you send me a link.

I was offline and unable to enter the contest.....bummers...I had no internet service on my vacation.

The Duck story continues....I put Barred Rocks in the stall where the CL pen is in...one hen decided to go broody and hung next to the pen for several days, calling out to the chicks and trying to feed them. She was quite annoying and when I had the door open to refill the water, she wanted in so I let her. Mama Duck and BR are now dual raising the chicks....man, she is mean as well...pecking at me and fluffing her feather too.....she didn't care the chicks ages ranged from 6 weeks to one plus week. The chicks love her and she feeds them all the time. Both mamas are good in sharing the chick raising duties.....first time I had a hen want to raise chicks that were partially grown and she never even tried to set on eggs. The chicks climb all over her and peck her head and are a general nuisance and she just loves them. I will mark her and keep her in the permanent flock - hopefully as one of my future mama hens. Very interesting on how this is working out.

I am going to reduce my French Black Copper Marans flock so I can get more CL........I am really loving them. I have a CL roo that is about 8 months old and just super friendly. Runs up and eats out of my hands. Never had a roo do that before.

Those are two amazing breeding teams you've got there! So glad they were spared!

DeltaBluezTess- follow the link in my signature line it will take you straight to the join page!

Last edited:
Hello Legbar enthusiasts! I got my first chicks about a month ago and have a sweet little 4 week old cream Legbar girl in addition to a 4 week old Welsummer girl and two 5 week old Swedish flowers. My little Cadbury is so much smaller than the other three! Is this normal with what you've seen? Appreciate any insight you may have!

I know this is silly question, but has anyone hatched a Legbar Silkie? I have a spare Roo in with my White Silkies, since he grew up with them...and I almost want to hatch a couple of eggs just to see if there are any Silkie Legbars lol.

Hello Legbar enthusiasts! I got my first chicks about a month ago and have a sweet little 4 week old cream Legbar girl in addition to a 4 week old Welsummer girl and two 5 week old Swedish flowers. My little Cadbury is so much smaller than the other three! Is this normal with what you've seen? Appreciate any insight you may have!

Hi Perkhens and
welcome-byc.gif

I hope someone else can help as I have only started with the breed this year.

I will say that they are feather out faster than any other breed I have worked with. Especially the wing feathers, about 2 weeks ahead of my heritage breeds and maybe a month faster than the Brahmas. My not-quite-4 week-olds were out for a visit last evening and unexpectedly one flew from my daughter on the couch over me and did a crash landing on the far side of my chair--over 6 feet horizontally! The only breed that has been close were my Wellies. Must be the Leghorn. Since they are about the same age as yours I will go weigh my chicks and if you can weigh yours you will have a comparison.

Cadbury is an awesome name! Post pictures!

ETA: Clara is 186 gms/ 6 5/8 oz, and Arthur is 231 grams/ 8 1/8 oz

Last edited:
Cream Legbar/Silkie crosses? Maybe. I'm sending pictures of my crossbreed chicks to Marvin for breed ID. I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, here is my first Easter Legger (Cream Legbar rooster, Easter Egger hen):

Back
Top Bottom