The Legbar Thread!

This week I shipped my first set of eggs to GA to someone who waited for my whole testing fiasco to be done with. Very grateful for his patience and that he persevered with me through this. All 19 eggs made it there safely (sent a 'few' extras). Now just hoping he has a good hatch. In a few weeks I'll incubate pen A and B separately to see what the outcomes are.
It's gonna be a hot one here in NH today but no rain so gonna get the bigger chicks into the big coop today and all chicks into outdoor brooders. Cannot wait to get everyone out of the house finally.
Was the 2011 stock that bad? My original roo was October 2011 but my cream hen was Feb 2012. I must have really and truly lucked out with him. The hen is problematic and I think it may take generations to get cream from her but her egg size and the amount she lays is not matched by the others so far.
Rinda - what year was your original stock from if you don't mind my asking? As your second gen boy is truly gorgeous.

This week I shipped my first set of eggs to GA to someone who waited for my whole testing fiasco to be done with. Very grateful for his patience and that he persevered with me through this. All 19 eggs made it there safely (sent a 'few' extras). Now just hoping he has a good hatch. In a few weeks I'll incubate pen A and B separately to see what the outcomes are. 
It's gonna be a hot one here in NH today but no rain so gonna get the bigger chicks into the big coop today and all chicks into outdoor brooders. Cannot wait to get everyone out of the house finally. 
Was the 2011 stock that bad? My original roo was October 2011 but my cream hen was Feb 2012.  I must have really and truly lucked out with him. The hen is problematic and I think it may take generations to get cream from her but her egg size and the amount she lays is not matched by the others so far.  
Rinda - what year was your original stock from if you don't mind my asking? As your second gen boy is truly gorgeous.

It's not that the 2011 stock is bad, I just would've preferred more recent stock since it would make improving the line easier. But! I may get GREAT hens and roos out of these eggs. No way of telling for the next 21 days. :)

Was the 2011 stock that bad? My original roo was October 2011 but my cream hen was Feb 2012. I must have really and truly lucked out with him. The hen is problematic and I think it may take generations to get cream from her but her egg size and the amount she lays is not matched by the others so far.

I got most of my stock from a lady in Haskell, Oklahoma, I believe she got hers straight from GFF, lines A and B, early on. I also have two hens from Jordan Farms (unknown line but they are both gold so they will be gone from my flock by next spring) and one gold pullet from Curtis.

Aloha kakou,

Instead of driving all over the place, why not use the mail? Rinda just sent me a bunch of eggs to Hawai'i. All eggs arrived safely and we're hoping for a good hatch. You can also have newborn chicks sent for less than the price of the gas.

I will be showing pictures of Rinda's chicks when they come out in 2 weeks.

I also got some of her black copper marans.

I can't wait!

Mahalo Rinda. :)

Take care, Puhi

I think many of us who have dealt with shipped eggs are unfortunetely used to the disasters often experienced when eggs travel through the mail. If I there were eggs within a few hours driving distance I would happily go and pick them up - lots less expensive to pay for gas than the many hundreds of dollars and time and effort I have spent in the last few years on failed egg shipments.

How sad that you lost so many! But given the USPS problems, amazing you managed to get two girls out of them all! Were you hoping for a boy, too?

I agree, I expected no hatch, so kudos to the Silkie Ladies for making it possible to get at least the two. Yes, I was hoping for a boy too. I'll wait to see that they continue to thrive before I start looking for one, but so far they are doing just great. I am really enjoying watching them :) They are with the Silkie family, with a Dominique chick that hatched the same day as the first CL (on schedule for the Dom) and 2 SLW chicks that hatched 3 weeks ago. There was someone about an hour away advertising that he or she had CL eggs in the incubator due to hatch a couple of weeks earlier than mine, but I don't think it is an NPIP certified keeper, so I'll probably have to look elsewhere. For now I'm thrilled I at least got 2 girl chicks.

I don't know about sounding like geese, but wow - folks weren't lying when the said that this was a talky breed. My 15 week old rooster has been trying to figure out the crowing thing for the past 4 weeks and he literally goes off about 100x a day. Their pen is right by the house so it's a good thing I like the sound of his crow. Makes me laugh every single time. :)

I don't know about sounding like geese, but wow - folks weren't lying when the said that this was a talky breed. My 15 week old rooster has been trying to figure out the crowing thing for the past 4 weeks and he literally goes off about 100x a day. Their pen is right by the house so it's a good thing I like the sound of his crow. Makes me laugh every single time.
smile.png

Mine settled down a lot once they got the crowing down. But the amount of crowing is a personality thing- some like to do it a lot, some don't.

Back
Top Bottom