The Legbar Thread!

My understanding is that their will be barring on the secondary feathers but some birds also have a gold tone that occurs. When I unfold the wing I look for only gray and white barring to be there. You tend to see some gold speckling as some birds age and it will turn to an overall gold tone as the bird matures. Some birds will show cream in the hackle and saddle but still have gold in the secondary and I cull for that. Depending on the fold a mostly white wing may appear so you really need to unfold the entire wing and ensure that the feathers in total are barred. I have seen some that appear mostly white in the bay when folded but are barred when unfolded. What would unbarred secondary feathers denote and is it an issue if the barring is there but does not show when folded in the wing bay? The color I was speaking to was the need to decrease/diminish the gold that is in there and strive for only gray and white barring.
I have seen photos of duckwings where the feathers bleed from light to dark (or is it dark to light), so perhaps this apparently white/light wing-bay where when unfolded the feathers bleed from a barring to a light to cream tip is just a result of the underlying shading variance in the color of the bird (if you removed the barring and cream)?

I am still confused about the duckwing appearance of the light brown leghorn's wing-bays that turn into the gray barred wing-bay in the Cream Legbars. I must still be missing something.

Quote: So what this says to me (bolded above) is that a Cream Legbar should not be called Crele because a Crele does not have barring on the wing-bay (wing triangle). Yet I have seen many examples of what had been labeled as Crele birds that have barring on the wing-bays. And isn't the Cream Legabar Wildtype as you describe? So if I understand you correctly you do not call a Cream Legbar a Cream Crele because it has these extra melanizers?

Quote:
while you can see Barring on gold type Crele(harder to see on cream birds as some cream birds do have white triangle) that type of barrin gis called Ginger Barring... and this is due to the interaction between sexlinked barring and gold... I do not call the Cream Legbar Crele because its phenotype(looks of it) is not in line(the males at least) of what a crele should look like... here is a Cream Leghorn from Holland, see the white wing Triangle
Leghorn_Geelpatrijs_Haan.jpg
and here is the Cream Crele Leghorn from holland, with white wing triangel
now compare them to the Punnets Bird, there is an Obvious difference in overall barring
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
So there should not be an overtone of gold with the barring and what barring there is should only be gray and white but when folded the wing bay should show some barring. If the barring is present on the secondary but does not show as the wing is folded is that an issue?
I have read that article above and some others by Punnett. In one he states that any gold showing up in the secondaries is an indication that gold is present in the bird. A cream bird would not show any gold in the secondary feathers, correct?

dretd - regarding shafting.... I have not really investigated it and how to breed for or against it. I would have no idea how to even start to eliminate it but maybe I need to look at that too. It is funny that it appears in gold and the silver standards but not the cream, especially when the cream chick down descriptions says that it should resemble the silver.

I am currently reading and re-reading Brian Reeder's books. They are relatively easy to digest.

Quote:
thats correct, at least for the wing triangle, on other feathers, Cream and Grey is also called for.
Quote:
the Wing Triangle should always be visible, some birds dont show it because they tuck it too much but thats a diffect.
Quote:
at least on Cream Leghorns they should be true...
Leghorn_Geelpatrijs_Haan.jpg

The left old photo looks like a Barred Leghorn--is this correct? Is he here for color or type?
The black and white photo on the right--what is this from? It looks like a Cream Legbar but from what era and location? Why is here there, color or type? His wing bays show barring--is the barring grey or cream/gold--I can't tell from a black and white photo?

The original post was for type. Are you now using them as examples for color?
Yes, the POSTIING of the two B&W photos do come from about a year or more ago and were in the discussion for type. The left-most is from Punnett's work. I had thought it was artist's impression, (could be a very bad - unsharp photo). Subsequently, I have heard that in those days...they would start with an actual photo and do pretty extensive retouching to change the poultry photo to what they want. Some mention of this is made in CSU, I believe.

Someone said that they thought the bird had no color - and of course we cannot tell from a B&W photo - but on my monitor the shoulders/tops of the wings are definitely dark.
The second bird is one I raised - and photoed for the SOP discussion - It's interesting to see the comparison.

I believe that the B&W photos can provide insight on barring. The first photo- artist-impression, bad photo, retouched photo - don't know..but it is from Punnett's day.

Last edited:
Well, my legbar didn't show. She was great when we left and the show box slots are smaller so they can't turn around to break feathers but she managed to anyway. Pulled her out at the show and noticed she broke a few wing feathers so she spent the weekend in the crate in the back of the car. Not this weekend but next, I will be taking a pair to a show on the coast, hopefully they won't have any issues

Back
Top Bottom