The Legbar Thread!

Thats a good question, so far "Cream" Adult birds have hatched from both Light and dark males

My Recessive White Cream Legbars were much harder to sex at hatch but I was still able to correctly sex them based on head spots and eye stripes. I am wondering if the recessive Cream would also give a chick that is harder to sex at hatch- like that "odd" chick.

I haven't seen many pics of adult Cream birds let alone pics of a Cream chick so I'm just guessing....

I would definitely tag that chick and see what it turns out to be
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think it may still be dependant on individual flocks at this time. My boys that are cream are always light and a slate colored down. Some say they get good cream colored males from those really dark and gray downed males but I do not get correctly colored males from dark chicks. I am thinking and hoping my down color is stabilizing so I can more predict color going forward. The 2 boys I had that had dark barring I could decipher that early on last year as they feathered out so I'm going to be looking at that this year along with the type of barring. It helps to hatch out and grow out a lot of your chicks so you can see what the tell-tale signs are in your own flock compared to others.

I haven't seen many pics of adult Cream birds let alone pics of a Cream chick so I'm just guessing....
Black bird does have some of the nicest cream colored males I have seen, nice contrast of Dark barring and cream hackle and saddle color, or at least the ones I see, he does have some light barred males so the contrast is not so deep as his Dark barred males

Looking at that "odd" chick above I am wondering- how are the ig/ig chicks hatching out? Do they hatch out the same color as a gold? That chick looks sorta female to me with just really light down and not much definition.

Maybe Curtis can tell us what his ig/ig girls look like at hatch?

I believe my current roo is at least part Cream and he hatched out with much lighter coloring than I was use to from my original line.

Just wondering...

I think it may still be dependant on individual flocks at this time. My boys that are cream are always light and a slate colored down. Some say they get good cream colored males from those really dark and gray downed males but I do not get correctly colored males from dark chicks. I am thinking and hoping my down color is stabilizing so I can more predict color going forward. The 2 boys I had that had dark barring I could decipher that early on last year as they feathered out so I'm going to be looking at that this year along with the type of barring. It helps to hatch out and grow out a lot of your chicks so you can see what the tell-tale signs are in your own flock compared to others.

Interesting... And with so many of us mixing different lines we could definitely be seeing more oddball colors and chicks hatching.

Maybe the breeder of those chicks could shed some light on the "oddball"- do we know who's birds they are from?

It could also be something so simple like a fence jumper
lol.png

It's my chick by the way......
I may not breed from it as the auto sexing was one of the most important things in choosing this breed for me, however I am planning to keep the chick, as soon as its legs are big enough I will tag it and will share photos as it grows. I have a few breeding groups and a layers flock of mixed breeds so if not good for breeding it can live in the layers flock, I already have one cream legbar cock in there that does not make the grade for breeding, he was my first ever incubator chick so he gets to stay for that reason alone!
This "odd" chick came from eBay eggs, the seller did not claim for them to be show standard or anything and they were not expensive. 8 hatched out of 12 so I was pretty pleased for shipped eggs :) I will try to get some better pictures of him/her tomorrow.

I have two male leg bars. Which would you keep? I was supposed to get 2 females 1 roo. One has a blonde head with slight white spot the other deffinate white spot. Trying to post pics

I have two male leg bars. Which would you keep? I was supposed to get 2 females 1 roo. One has a blonde head with slight white spot the other deffinate white spot. Trying to post pics

Is there no way to keep both? It's hard to make a choice so early unless you've had others grow out who looked like them as chicks???

Back
Top Bottom