The Legbar Thread!

Heehee I think the chicken eye chart test is to hold a worm in front of each eye and see if there is a reaction
wink.png
lau.gif

They are here and made it this time!! My Jill Rees Legbars are finally here. I'm looking forward to watching these guys grow up. When they settle in, I'll try to get pictures of them.

Woke to a sad discovery this morning. "Thursday" my founding hen from Jordan farm was dead. She was lovely, with a very nice personality. I noticed her wings were hanging a bit low yesterday and she must have died in her sleep last night. One of my hens was laying oddly shaped eggs with a soft side. I think it may have been her.

I have a grower full of her children and grandchildren in my barn so her legacy lives on.

She is the hen all the way on the left. Whatever breeding success I have had in the last 2 years was because of her.

Woke to a sad discovery this morning. "Thursday" my founding hen from Jordan farm was dead. She was lovely, with a very nice personality. I noticed her wings were hanging a bit low yesterday and she must have died in her sleep last night. One of my hens was laying oddly shaped eggs with a soft side. I think it may have been her.

I have a grower full of her children and grandchildren in my barn so her legacy lives on.

She is the hen all the way on the left. Whatever breeding success I have had in the last 2 years was because of her.
hugs.gif

Oh no! What happened? So sorry for your loss!! I had a scare w/ my JR chicks last Sat: one of the girls was pooping red blood. Of course, it's after hrs and the vet's gone. I run to Tractor Supply and get electrolytes and Probiotics. Cook up scrambled eggs. Isolate the little girl. Clean and sanitize everything. By Monday, when I go to vet to get some Corig (thinking it was coccidiosis-even tho they're on that medicated chick starter), she was fine. Everybody seems fine (I hv a brooder pen w/ Black Copper Marans too). Whew, it was scary!! Has anyone else ever noticed that you never hv problems w/ mutts, only your expensive stock? And anybody hv any idea what, besides coccidiosis, would cause bloody poop for a day in a 3 wk old chick?

Oh no! What happened? So sorry for your loss!! I had a scare w/ my JR chicks last Sat: one of the girls was pooping red blood. Of course, it's after hrs and the vet's gone. I run to Tractor Supply and get electrolytes and Probiotics. Cook up scrambled eggs. Isolate the little girl. Clean and sanitize everything. By Monday, when I go to vet to get some Corig (thinking it was coccidiosis-even tho they're on that medicated chick starter), she was fine. Everybody seems fine (I hv a brooder pen w/ Black Copper Marans too). Whew, it was scary!! Has anyone else ever noticed that you never hv problems w/ mutts, only your expensive stock? And anybody hv any idea what, besides coccidiosis, would cause bloody poop for a day in a 3 wk old chick?

Some blood in the stool is normal- it's intestinal lining shedding as the chicks grow. You can see two bloody stools here that tested NEGATIVE for cocci. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Thanks so much, Rinda! My chick's poo kinda looked like the 2nd Negative pic (which looks scary!). That is a very informative site (I bookmarked it)! At least I hv Corid now to keep in my med cabinet. My vet had to order it... Apparently, there aren't any big chick farms where I live anymore. He said he used to go thru a ton of Corid, but when they made cock fighting a Federal offense, all the "big breeders" went away. Amazing, right??!!

Back
Top Bottom