The Legbar Thread!

Are the inside of the eggs also blue or are they white with blue outside? I have some that are off blue/slight light green. They are white inside with blue outside. I have two that have blue inside and outside. I of course are going to simply breed the blue insideout this year.
Good observation - do you look at the inside color when the egg is freshly cracked open? Once the membrane dries it looks stark white. If you can peel membrane off sometimes you see a bit different color.

Since you are going to use the ones that you have that are blue in and outside -- I guess you have already solved it. Technically my understanding is that the blue pigment is throughout the shell.

I look at the shell
Good observation - do you look at the inside color when the egg is freshly cracked open? Once the membrane dries it looks stark white. If you can peel membrane off sometimes you see a bit different color.

Since you are going to use the ones that you have that are blue in and outside -- I guess you have already solved it. Technically my understanding is that the blue pigment is throughout the shell.
I look at the inside of the egg when I make breakfast. Might have to take a picture of it.

I look at the shell
I look at the inside of the egg when I make breakfast. Might have to take a picture of it.
A long time ago - I was showing off the blue eggs to someone -- and did just what you do -- look inside the shell when the egg is first broken - what was funny was at that time there was a color match -- blue inside, blue outside.... That afternoon -- I was proudly showing off the egg shell and the inside had turned white as the membrane had dried white. LOL -- That's is why I asked.
lau.gif

I look at the shell 

Good observation - do you look at the inside color when the egg is freshly cracked open?  Once the membrane dries it looks stark white.   If you can peel membrane off sometimes you see a bit different color.  

Hi Stryker! Just this evening I was cracking eggs for dinner and one egg had a blue interior and two were very pale--I am sure the membranes were opaque on the ones that looked white. If you run the eggs under water and very gently strip the membranes then rub more to get the remainder off you will see what they look like on the inside of the shell. I have a picture I did last year of three eggshells with the membranes stripped--a cream legbar, a welsummer and my EE who lays a pinkish/tinted egg:

Conventional wisdom says that the brown only appears on the outside coating but clearly in my EE her pale tannish pink is all throughout the shell.

Last edited:
I'm really excited! While I was out of town, my dad took care of my chickens. One of the Jill Rees pullets started laying while I was gone and it's the bluest egg so far! I hope she continues to lay such beautiful eggs! It's strange to me how some of them had already started laying weeks before others, but this egg was well worth the wait!

Last edited:
I asked this on the other Legbar thread too, but I'm not sure if there are different people on the two threads. Where did everyone get their OAC charts? I'm looking for a reliable, but inexpensive one. Any suggestions? I know this egg is much "bluer" than others, but I can't classify how much "bluer".

I asked this on the other Legbar thread too, but I'm not sure if there are different people on the two threads. Where did everyone get their OAC charts? I'm looking for a reliable, but inexpensive one. Any suggestions? I know this egg is much "bluer" than others, but I can't classify how much "bluer".
Does anyone know where to get hold of them now-a-days?

I am not sure if this will work but here goes. Its on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/57816168/online-auction-color-chart-f?ref=market

The Color Chart Company is also on Etsy I believe.

Last edited:

Hi tdhenson86...I got mine off ebay about 2 years ago but it looks like they seller is no longer there. I am wiling to bet that they had a specific number printed and once those sold they did not prind a second batch. Too bad!

The Ameraucana Club has egg color charts available and that may be the best choice. I've been thinking of ordering a couple myself (they sell in lots of 2/$5) http://ameraucana.org/clubmerchandise.html

@lonnyandrinda went to the trouble of correlating the OAC an the Ameraucana charts a year or more ago. Maybe he will see this and re-post it for us. I will edit this posting if I can dig up that link!

Back
Top Bottom