The Legbar Thread!

I think Spring has finally sprung! While we are going to get a little bit of a chill again next weekend, we are supposed to be near 60 today and 65 Monday. The snow is slowly melting and it seems spring is on the way! The daffodils are starting to pop up through the ground too. I'm so ready for spring!
celebrate.gif

Also, I just wanted to let anyone interested in a Jill Rees Cream Legbar Rooster know that I have updated my prices on my listing to include shipping. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...sters-updated-price-includes-shipping-and-box
GFF has been selling them on rarebreed auctions from 150-300 a dozen since July of last year, thats why you are having a hard time moving them. I really think its unfair to folks like you that GFF dumped the market at such a big price difference. They probably could have generated more demand if they had priced them better to begin with.

I'm with you on wanting smaller combs. The floppy combs on the hens makes them look silly. I crossed my CCL with an ameraucana hen so the chicks have blue eggs but hopefully smaller combs. I told DH I'd sell all of them, but somehow I "accidentally" kept a handful that looked like they might be pullets. Sexing the pea combs is much harder than the straight combs when they are young.

Another plus to the Ameraucana eggs is that the shells have a nicer texture than my legbar eggs.
Back tracking a bit here, I'd love to see smaller combs as well. I think it'd show off that beautiful crest much better! Plus the benefits of a smaller comb.........

Quote: I just sold off all my Ameraucana x Legbar chicks yesterday. It is a bit sad, but I am also relieved since I have an incubator full of eggs and really needed to move some chicks before the new ones hatch. I kept two chicks that I think might be pure legbar. They have big combs already in addition to big crests. At one point the legbar rooster quit fertilizing the eggs and let the new rooster take over. It is doubtful they are pure, but I can't tell yet.

I just sold off all my Ameraucana x Legbar chicks yesterday. It is a bit sad, but I am also relieved since I have an incubator full of eggs and really needed to move some chicks before the new ones hatch. I kept two chicks that I think might be pure legbar. They have big combs already in addition to big crests. At one point the legbar rooster quit fertilizing the eggs and let the new rooster take over. It is doubtful they are pure, but I can't tell yet.
Good luck with the upcoming hatch! Also good luck and congratulations to all on new and upcoming chicks! Love seeing and hearing about those babies

Quote: I just sold off all my Ameraucana x Legbar chicks yesterday. It is a bit sad, but I am also relieved since I have an incubator full of eggs and really needed to move some chicks before the new ones hatch. I kept two chicks that I think might be pure legbar. They have big combs already in addition to big crests. At one point the legbar rooster quit fertilizing the eggs and let the new rooster take over. It is doubtful they are pure, but I can't tell yet.

Best of luck growing them out! I'd love to see pictures as they grow!

Best of luck growing them out! I'd love to see pictures as they grow!
Here are my supposed legbars at 5 weeks. What does everyone think? Do either of them look pure to you?
The darker one is a pullet for sure. I'm 90% sure the lighter one is a pullet, but it has a bigger comb that the sister.

Sorry for the pics, they wouldn't hold still.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom