The Life of being Little... my Seramas from eggs and beyond

So I'm having doubts that I have 2 roosters. Last year I had a rooster that was the same age as these chicks here and his comb was 3x the size and bright red at this point. Even though Pebbles has basically a non existent comb, the others have a small comb but not red as you can see from the photo.

What do you guys think? Do I have 3 hens or only one?
View attachment 3218358

Also, few days ago I switched these babies into the newer coop and doing very well. The slightly older birds are treating them great and sharing a perch together. ❤️
Those are all pullets! Lucky you!

So I'm having doubts that I have 2 roosters. Last year I had a rooster that was the same age as these chicks here and his comb was 3x the size and bright red at this point. Even though Pebbles has basically a non existent comb, the others have a small comb but not red as you can see from the photo.

What do you guys think? Do I have 3 hens or only one?
View attachment 3218358

Also, few days ago I switched these babies into the newer coop and doing very well. The slightly older birds are treating them great and sharing a perch together. ❤️
Great for you! Not so much for me since I started dreaming about getting ‘Patrick’ who is probably a Patricia now. 😅

Is been awhile since I posted about my 3 lovely ladies. Pebbles, Rapunzel, and Patricia (which I have an acronym of Perps for the trio, lol), have been doing remarkably well! For the last few weeks they have been in their new coop and getting along great with the other chickens.

They're also getting more comfortable adventuring outside the coop. They don't mingle with the other birds that much but slowly they hang out with them under the lilac tree.

Their combs and wattle are getting redder and expect them to lay before November. All 3 are still very sweet and love to be pet. Probably the nicest birds I have!

20220828_184326.jpg
20220828_184336.jpg

Something has changed in one of my hens the last few days. Rapunzel who is in the picture above in the foreground, has become very mean and aggressive. She has turned into a hen that was very sweet to the meanest one that I have! The Perps always enjoyed being petted but Rapunzel will not stop pecking me when I touch her. She also does not like when I touch her sister Patricia. In fact, she goes after Patricia and attacks her. This morning they looked like two roosters fighting! The big rooster breaks up the fighting and Rapunzel only behaves herself if there is a rooster around. I am thinking about getting a Serama rooster to keep these ladies in check.

I know chickens have a pecking order but curious if this is a hormonal thing. All three of their combs are reddening up and the wattles are dropping and also red. They should be laying here within 8 weeks. Guess I'll see what happens.

Something has changed in one of my hens the last few days. Rapunzel who is in the picture above in the foreground, has become very mean and aggressive. She has turned into a hen that was very sweet to the meanest one that I have! The Perps always enjoyed being petted but Rapunzel will not stop pecking me when I touch her. She also does not like when I touch her sister Patricia. In fact, she goes after Patricia and attacks her. This morning they looked like two roosters fighting! The big rooster breaks up the fighting and Rapunzel only behaves herself if there is a rooster around. I am thinking about getting a Serama rooster to keep these ladies in check.

I know chickens have a pecking order but curious if this is a hormonal thing. All three of their combs are reddening up and the wattles are dropping and also red. They should be laying here within 8 weeks. Guess I'll see what happens.
Certainly sounds like one. Once they settle into laying, they will likely calm way down again.

Is been awhile since I've posted an update about the Perps. They've grown nicely and are experiencing their first winter. So far they seem not to mind the cold. I did get them a rooster, Carlos, to keep them company and protection. They didn't like him at first but now they follow him wherever.
20221109_070239.jpg 20221109_070631.jpg

Back
Top Bottom