The Life of Louie the Rooster ~a story

As per Birdies's request:

Chapter 8

The huge red bird swooped down from the sky. It screamed. I crowed, but the hen was too far away. I race towards her, knowing that Spike or one of his palsll find me later and probably beat me up. I don't care. She can't die. "Stay away from my chicks!" She screams. The hawk flies lower. I was almost there. It grabs her, but she fights. It drops her. She lands with a shout. The hawk targets her chicks. The four of them stand there.
"No!" I shout, and I attack the hawk. I was never an amazing fighter, but I can wrestle the hawk until it gives up. It flies away, bleeding from a wing. It will live, but think twice about attacking the chicks.

I turn back to the hen. She lies gasping on the ground. I rush to her side, but I can not save her.
"T-thanks." Every breath is a wheezing effort.
"No problem," I say. She looks at me, and smiles.
"Goodbye." Her breathing fades.
"Goodbye," I whisper. My only friend is gone. I must protect her chicks. How though, I don't know. I turn around to find them.

"Well, well, well." It's Spike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I told you to stay away from her," he says.
"T-th-the hawk would have killed the chicks." He doesn't acknowledge that I have said anything. To him, it's not about his flock, it's about him, where he stands, when he eats and when he sleeps. I resent him.
"Attack!" He yells, and I realize, too late, that I am surrounded by seven roosters. They fly at me, and I try to fight them off. It's no use; they are experienced fighters and I'm a 8-month-old Polish cockeral. They are merciless. Soon I bleed heavily.
"I think he's got it now, boys. Let's go."
I can't stay here, but I can't walk either. Slowly I crall away, into the woods and towards a stream. I take a drink, and all goes black.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up in the dark. It is lucky that I did not pass out in the stream. I examine my wounds: along with several smaller cuts and bruises, I have two large gashes and my foot is twisted. Curling up to keep warm, I lie there. All my friends are gone. It hurts to think of my former life, now so distant, with Pumpkin and the chooks. Just as I'm about to fall asleep, the bushes rustle. I listen again: there is something there. I cannot fight off a racoon now. I do not even try to hide. The noises get closer and closer.

A voice calls out, "Hello? Mister?"

Thanks, Birdies, I saw.
smile.png

Just got back from the concert! I'm a 1st Violin. We played holiday tunes and Lade Gaga.
lol.png

Yah, sure, I'll put one up. Give me a few minutes.

Last edited:
Chapter 9

"Mister? Where are you?" Two chicks waddle towards me. "Hi Mister. We followed you. We wanna have an adventure!"

Fantastic.

All I need now is two bumbling, needy chicks. But their mum is gone. I can't leave them.
"Well, girls, you can come with me, but this is not going to be a picnic."
"Neither was home," says the red chick. She's right.
"Ok, can you girls forage? There's no grain out here."
"Yeah! Uh-huh!" The girls chorus. The yellow chick hopps over.
"I'm Martha and she's Annie. We're barnyard mix chicks!" She giggled. "Annie! I got a bug! Get it! Get it!"

I sigh. This is not going to help me but there is not other option, is there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I can walk for a long distance again we begin to move away from the farm. The chicks are obedient and good foragers, seeming to keep resonably full. We follow the creek. Sometimes we can see houses like where the girl lived- still lives I guess. They never complain, never wish to go home. This lifestyle is peaceful, but it is not really what I want. Will I ever find a home?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We travel for weeks and weeks. I remember my friends I've met since the day I hatched, over a year ago. Where are you, Petunia, Oliver, Rosie, Sandy, Coco, Sunny, Cinder, Daisy, and Pumpkin? My hens probably have almost forgotton me. I force myself, painfully, to focus on the chicks, who are 11 months old by now and laying eggs. One time Annie stepped on hers, and it broke. She pecked it.
"Mmmmm, this stuff is marvelous! " We try some. It is gooey and delicous. From now on, we eat the eggs, since thay can serve no other purpose. Humans never noticed us.

Until the day the old man came along.

"Well there," he said, "Chickens. I had chickens not too long ago."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom