1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The little exit door from coop to run (?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebryant, Jun 18, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

What do you call the little exit door where the chickens leave the coop to enter the run?
    I need to put one in the house that I'm finishing up now, and I'd really appreciate photos of others'.
    What do I do to be sure that that exit door when closed at night is not a source of a draft, especially in the winter? Thanks

2. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    I call it the "pop" door. There are several styles out there. Mine folds up and down on a hinge. I have a pull cord to close it at night and then untie it in the AM and it gravity falls down. There are automatic opener/closers, but they are $$$. I also have one that slides in a channel made out of galvanized tin, but have not put it in the other coop yet.

3. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    [​IMG]

I just used an old window, and flipped it so that the opener is on the bottom. It works great and locks closed plus it lets light in either way.

4. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    That is a great idea! I have a coop thats dark and I can't get power to it. I just happen to have a few smaller windows laying around.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you don't position your roosts in the path of the air current that starts at the pop hole door and rises up to your ventilation opening(s) at the top of the wall, the chickens won't be roosting in a draft, even if the door doesn't have a tight seal or is open. Does that make sense to you?

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Here's what my wonderful husband made:

On hinges, open:
    [​IMG]

Closed for the night:
    [​IMG]

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Greene, RI
    I just finished my pop door. To prevent draft I cut the opening smaller than the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine is similar to gunslingers with the addition of a hook on the top of the door and an eye above the door to hook the hook into and lock the door open.

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Ours has a small door that is held open with a hook and eye. Then the gangplank hinges up, pressing the door tightly shut and latches with a chain and cup hook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    My coop is a work in progress, but I finished the door, it's a guillotine type that is sprung in the open position,
    [​IMG]
    Cables on each side pull it to the closed position
    [​IMG]
    and is open closed from the outside
    [​IMG]
    the reason it's actuated with cables is because I hope to run a solar panel to charge a 12v battery, this will in turn power an electric window motor from a car who's arm is connected to the cables, giving me the ability to put a timer on it making it automatic.
    The door goes down lower than the opening so no predators can take a swipe, however they would have to stretch the steel cables to try. The ramp will also flip up for the winter sealing out any drafts (another job to do after I finished painting and putting the shingles on). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by