The loss of my first chicken...

oh, I'm so sorry. I hate it when people don't understand. I remember when my first cat died. I was crying like crazy. I went to school the next day, and everyone asked why I was crying. I told them, and they said stuff like, "It's just a dumb cat" and "It can be replaced". I had nursed that cat back to health after fights, getting hit by cars and golf balls and everything else. I was 11 I think, maybe younger. I miss that cat, so I know how you feel.

:hugs Sorry to hear this. Very touching blog entry too. It's sad when people don't understand, but there are folks here who do!

I'm so sorry. I lost my favorite to a coyote, and it is hard. I think about her almost every day. Your beautiful chicken had a wonderful life, and she was surrounded with love and friendship.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. I had a tragedy the other day. Sadly, not my first. But I cried as if it was.

And, yes. There are plenty of people here who will cry right along with you. I did.

So sorry about your precious Scout. Poor girl--her and you both. I bawled when a red-tail finally got my big red rooster Rusty after a long 10 year tenure as head of the flock. Some people may not understand the attachment we have with our chickens, but it's not too different from a cat or dog as companion.

I was out laying on the ground as my 40+ half-grown chicks grazed on clover and bugs all around me just a bit ago. Now I want to go back out and lay with them some more (I would if it weren't sunset and they were getting ready to go to bed).

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost one of my babies last week. They were playing in the back yard and we went to check on them and my friend noticed a "big bird" (a hawk) sitting on the roof and she didn't think anything of it. Then she noticed the chickens weren't in the back yard anymore. She figured they had escaped and went around the house looking for us but when she got to the gate, she noticed Bella laying there....the hawk had gotten her. There were feathers everywhere so I think she put up a good fight. Our other baby, Biddy, escaped and survived. I was out at the store with my husband when I got the call about Bella. I knew something was wrong when my friend's husband said "are you driving or sitting?" and he told me. And my husband was so nice about it when I cried. He understood that I am attached to my chickens like most people are attached to dogs and cats so when I shed tears he didn't say anything except "I'm sorry". I completely understand how you feel. I just wish more people could and would see that chickens can be pets and we can love them just as much as any other pet.

Thanks for sharing your story. :( I lost my first chicken today...and she was my favorite. Her name was Apricot and she was the sweetest. I know that the people in my life will not be able to understand my heartbreak so it was really comforting to be able to read your story knowing that someone else understands. I'm sorry for you and your Scout.

Back
Top Bottom