The Meanest, Nastiest, Fowlest (pun-intended) Chickens of All

Quote:
I have one SLW hen from Ideal that I had to treat like a roo and she straightened out. Still not my favorite hen, though.

I love my ISA brown hens for their laying ability year round and their fantastic temperament. However do not order them straight run, the roos are the worst I have ever owned, and don't let them hatch out anything, or put their eggs in an incubator, even if the father roo is the sweetest gentleman on the planet. If you do be ready to cull any males from the mix, they beat up the hens really bad and then take on you, your dogs, even livestock like horses or cattle that get nearby can be flogged.

You might want to look into Buckeys if your putting them out in an orchard. Really good foragers and great for bug control and rodent control, they were bred for it for years.

Quote:
That is a HUGE leghorn!! I think the meanest bird I ever had was a Black Australorp. I gave him to a roosterless flock of RIR hens. If they ahve offspring they will be satan's spawn for sho!

Quote:
Becky,

Thanks for all of the feedback. I got a chuckle out of Freezer Camp.

I'm intrigued with the BB Old English Game Bantams and am interested in having a couple of roosters just because they're so beautiful. I fear though that they're loud and continuous in their cock-a-doodle-doing. I'm also curious how well they play with others. I would be adding them to the additional mix of chicks I've got listed in my signature file.

What have your experiences been with your OEGB Rooster in the noise department? Does he play well with others or is he spending a little too much time in the Time Out Chair?

John

Because they're so tiny, their crows aren't that loud, but they're high-pitched and 'girly'
tongue.png
Makes them more cute in my opinion, haha. He struts around like he's the king of the world, but doesn't bother any of the other roosters.

I have two OEGB roosters, a silver duckwing (the one who thinks he's hotstuff), and a wheaton. The poor little wheaton is on the bottom of the totem pole around here, so that may be why he's so quiet. But I've had him for a few months, and I've probably only heard him crow twice. The duckwing doesn't bother him unless he gets too close for comfort around his hens. Neither crow nearly as much as my Dutch rooster, who seems to crow 24/7
tongue2.gif

I've always thought it was almost silly to still call these little guys games, since when I think game chickens, I think mean fighters. But mine have always been quite mellow.

The meanest chicken on my farm is a tiny gold laced Polish. Her name is Desdemona, but if I'd known her personality when I named her, she would have been Lady MacBeth. She rules the roost and bullies all the other critters. She's even been known to run with my guineas. Even the geese back away from her. She's like the little crazy one in those prison movies.

Fortunately, she's so little that her antics just amuse me. She doesn't go after people much, just attacks their boots.

But all my bantams are more aggressive than my standard chickens. I guess they have Napolean complexes or something.

I hatched a bunch of chicks, for a neighbor of mine sired by a very mean SLW (Murray McMurray) rooster. He was the meanest bird I ever knew, she gave me is brother and he was the only rooster I have ever dispatched due to attitude. She gave me all of the the roosters from the hatch to feed out, they were also a nasty lot that did their level best to kill each other. I eventually gave them all their wish and made gallons and gallons of stock.

I think it has to do with the strain from a breed and less to do with the breed. I have some SLW now that I got from a breeder in Tennessee and they are very docile and have seen no aggression whatsoever. As a matter of fact I sort of wish this rooster showed me a little more desire to protect.

I've owned a lot of different breeds and I haven't found any of them to be mean as a rule. Have had a couple of mean RIRs but my current flock has 7 RIRs and there's not a mean one in the bunch! And they are great egg layers.
Here is a link to "Henderson's breed chart", it gives info on temperment of certain breeds as well as egg size, color, breed size etc, etc. I've found it very useful when picking new breeds to raise. Good luck and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#m

As a kid, my mom raised some white leghorns and the one roo, Sneaky. Earned his name honestly...he'd pretend to be eating, pecking while gradually getting closer to you and BAM! FLy up with feet raised. He cornered me once by a fence & shed when I could hardly have been 6 or 7...I remember screaming for Mom to help me. Well, I got my courage up one day in the coop and caught Sneaky. What I remember is his little neck went limp, I think his little heart went into too much stress & shock and he died. THe Mediterranean breeds are so flighty (Leghorns, Minorcas, etc.)
Now I raise silkies & cochins. One silkie roo jumped at my 13 yr old niece as she walked into the coop. I've heard away to show dominance over these roos and pick them up. Granted this works for the bantams or smaller types but I can't see doing it with an aggressive RIR or the big guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard games would qualify as the meanest chickens as the roos will not tolerate another rooster. The hens will not run but fight to the death to protect her chicks. If the rooster gets his courage up, he'll even take you on. He won't even think of backing down to anything. Remember tho we are talking about chickens and not mountain lions..........so mean is relative.

The nastiest chicken I have ever owned was named- get this- Mr. Friendly. He was a tiny little Bantam Mottled Cochin, meaner than any chicken I have ever seen, and who is is probably stew somewhere today. (I gave him away to my girl's poultry leader- don't know where he ended up.)

Back
Top Bottom