The meaning of life for a chicken owner

I love it. Mine is kinda close to that, but through four rowdy boys in to it ages 6 to 12 lol. Today I put together a large dog kennel and give the old smaller one to my lovely chickens lol. My DH siad he figured that was where it was going.

I love on the weekdays when I get home from work. As I pull up the driveway, eight chickens come RUNNING up to greet me like dogs. I get swarmed as soon as I open my vehicle's door and no, they won't let me change out of work clothes. They want their cracked corn scratch and they want it NOW!

My favorite part of the day.
smile.png

Ah yes, nothing like life with the chooks. Love this account!

My own day starts with taking treats (leftover cat food or veggies) to the girls, and cleaning any debris out of their water. Sometimes when I first get up, sometimes before I leave for work. I even got the hem of my office dress tugged on, yesterday, when I wasn't as fast putting down that plate.

Lunchtime, it's often come home and have lunch while watching chicken TV. BF and cats usually keep me company on this, if they're around.

After work, there is nothing so gratifying as to hear a "BAWK!" from the chicken run, the minute I step out the back door... Love those little veloceraptors...

YEAH, its not just me! It is so encouraging to know that even though nobody I know personally has the same chores / responsibilities, that I'm not crazy for doing them AND ejoying them
yippiechickie.gif

My girls got a almost whole pot of veggie stew leftover from two nights ago that only I eat and I would have still eaten it but figured they would enjoy it more. They also got corn cob leftovers and *gasp* fried chicken leftovers.
You wanna know something funny?!
I thought for sure they would have gone for the Veggie Stew first, but nope they went right for the chicken scraps!
That was a tad, well, disturbing...

But the stew pot was licked (erm, pecked) clean by something when I went to check on them a little later!
*Sigh*

Quote:
Yeah, I gave my girls the carcass of a chicken that had been roasted, then boiled for broth. I also gave them the neck and was horrified by their ravenous attention to their fellow kind.
sickbyc.gif

So sad... I didn't see my chooks all day yesterday! DBF let them out in the morning. I left for work at 7:10a. Rushed home after work to grab my violin and then rush off to orchestra rehearsal. By the time I got home for good around 9:30p, the chooks had been "in bed" for over 2 hours.

Luckily I got to see them this morning.

Back
Top Bottom