The Middle Tennessee Thread

Yes, I’m pretty happy right now, thank you! All is well in the world. I’m not a pessimist, but we’ll see how long this can go! Also, for you that we’re watching the deep litter method in TN, I have flood leaf/twig debris that is in there. They’ve scratched that down pretty good this first week so I’ll be dumping some more in there on the next couple days. Well also see how that goes....

View attachment 1756408 View attachment 1756404 Hey everyone! This scared Tennessean has successfully raised her 15 chicks! I gave 5 to a friend (coop limitations) and I have mine out in the coop now. Their first day free ranging was today and they went back in to roost today with no issues! My dogs have been monitored, one is now scared to death of them and the other is very non-bothered. They’ve been with them since they got here but it was the first “no borders” today. Will certainly continue to monitor. But I feel very successful so far! Wish I had this success with my bees! Now the next challenge is trying to keep them safe from external threats....dogs included. Hopefully a roo will show himself soon! But they’re just under 7 weeks so I have some time yet. I think
Good dogs! It's all in the training. Our dog was never a problem with the chickens and he was supposed to be a bird dog (Irish Water Spaniel). I'd worked with him from a pup so he'd leave the wild turkeys and ducks alone as they passed through the yard. It wasn't such a foreign concept to leave the chickens alone, too.

Silkies or polish would be my next foray in the chicken world. They look so interesting! As far as my pups go, it seems many people in my area don’t realize what it takes to make dogs “good” dogs. They are part of our family. We even have a foster stray right now who is way better than the neighbors new dog. He doesn't’ sleep in the house, but we are constantly out with them, interacting with them, letting them know right and wrong. Praise the right, harsh words, substitution, and ignoring for bad and maybe a throw on the back every now again if its a new behavior or something their not adhering to. How can you not love such devoted creatures?
And...my chickens are pretty cool to watch. It’s neat to have them follow me or my husband around in the yard. Had no idea chickens were like that. Oh, btw, we had to eliminate one. He/she took to picking on one distinct chicken so we separated him for 5 days (tried re-integration after one night separated but failure within seconds). After the 5th day i hung a cabbage distraction while introducing him back to the flock- and he still went after that chicken. I then tried removing the hen that was picked on and leaving the offensive chicken. He/she went after any other chicken. The whole flock was in an uproar. :rantSo? He ended up being vulture fodder. At just under 6 weeks it wasn’t big enough to do anything with.

Back
Top Bottom