The Middle Tennessee Thread

How is it that I go to pickup some porcelain silkie hatching eggs and come home with 3 black silkies too. 1 from Judy Lee hehe. I want to play with paints and he came from a paint pen and I have a white roo that was from a paint pen. I am going to put him over the black hen and see what happens.

pullets and hens CAN'T be double barred in any breed.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :) ! Her father was 2barred

Roosters SHOULD be double barred hens can't be, that is why they can make sex links.  Barring is a sex link trait and the hens can only pass that along to cockerels.

There are several genes involved in sex links and autosexing. Hens can pass along barring depending on which male they are bred to. This is how we create autosexing breeds.
And while single barred males are not "purebred" to any given breed, their usefulness in contributing to the development of autosexed breeds cannot be ignored.
For instance we are developing a new line of Rhodebars. Just because the hens are single barred does not make them purebred. And the single barred males breed back over the infused genetics creates suburb type, you simply have to cull very heavily to get the genetics that will take you back to purebred.
Keep in mind that sex links are a hybrid and do not breed true. Pure autosexed birds breed true every time.

Well CarsonOrps has 2 cuckoo orp chicks! We suspect 1 to be a roo and 1 to be a hen and we think she maybe a double barred chocolate!!

pullets and hens CAN'T be double barred in any breed.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)! Her father was 2barred

Roosters SHOULD be double barred hens can't be, that is why they can make sex links.  Barring is a sex link trait and the hens can only pass that along to cockerels.

There are several genes involved in sex links and autosexing. Hens can pass along barring depending on which male they are bred to. This is how we create autosexing breeds.
And while single barred males are not "purebred" to any given breed, their usefulness in contributing to the development of autosexed breeds cannot be ignored.
For instance we are developing a new line of Rhodebars. Just because the hens are single barred does not make them purebred. And the single barred males breed back over the infused genetics creates suburb type, you simply have to cull very heavily to get the genetics that will take you back to purebred.
Keep in mind that sex links are a hybrid and do not breed true. Pure autosexed birds breed true every time.
Thank yall for the info it will be used here on the Fran! :)

Well.... I guess summer is finally going to get us this week!

HOT HOT HOT and more HOT!

Going to the Wilson Co Fair tomorrow night. I have to take some keets to swap for the silkies I got.

Had to go get feed today and on the way got to see the excitement of the tanker truck that blew up. I could see it about 5 miles from the farm all the way over. HUGE cloud of black smoke. Fire trucks were still coming down the hwy when we got there. Glad nobody was hurt.

Got our feed and headed back on I440 the wrapping started coming off, we hoped we would make it but by the time we got to I40 the wrap was OFF and we were afraid we would loose feed if we didn't do something. Hubby is not supposed to lift ANYTHING! We had to move about 7 bags to the pickup bed from the trailer. It was uneventful after that. Thank goodness. I think I will put a roll of packing tape in the truck..... this happens too much.
Look at Office depot and buy a roll of Stretch wrap it should be easier than the tape..

Back
Top Bottom