The Middle Tennessee Thread

Yeah- I always end up bringing feed home from WI.. last time farm and fleet had what i needed at 9.49 for 50# and they even gave you a 10# scratch block for free with 2 bags purchase.

Bring from Iowa, I feel your pain. I'm in Lewisburg and have been searching for over a year for non-GMO feed. I've finally found 2 options. 1 is the aforementioned Taylor Farms.
The second is a company out of Alabama, but I think they tend towards larger loads. The pricing did say it had 50# bags, but the drive is further for you too.
We're planning a trip to Taylor's soon to check everything out. We needed to get out feed station all ready first.
There are 16 non-gmo providers within a reasonable distance for middle TN. Smith County Co-op makes mine, its a custom blend called "Pastured Poultry Blend Non-GMO Layer" They also make me Broiler, Starter, Turkey Starter, and Turkey Finisher. Downside is minimum order is a Ton. The least expensive are amish families in Scottsville, KY.

There are 16 non-gmo providers within a reasonable distance for middle TN.  Smith County Co-op makes mine, its a custom blend called "Pastured Poultry Blend Non-GMO Layer"  They also make me Broiler, Starter, Turkey Starter, and Turkey Finisher.  Downside is minimum order is a Ton.  The least expensive are amish families in Scottsville, KY.

That's helpful, thank you! I am at the bottom of the state, do running to KY isn't as easy and yes we had lots of Amish farms back home that was a plus. I almost cried when I saw organic layer in TSC for $25+ for 30#.
My local feed store makes a great mix called WhoopEm. Love it, but I really want not GMO. Now to figure out a schedule to go get some!

On a side note, I'm locking down those eggs, DMRippy!!

That's helpful, thank you! I am at the bottom of the state, do running to KY isn't as easy and yes we had lots of Amish farms back home that was a plus. I almost cried when I saw organic layer in TSC for $25+ for 30#.
My local feed store makes a great mix called WhoopEm. Love it, but I really want not GMO. Now to figure out a schedule to go get some!

Based on your location checkout these two: http://www.resacasun.com/ And http://www.hillsborofeedco.com/ Just a side note. A LOT of these guys will give significant discounts if you buy unbagged in bulk with a minimum order of 300 pounds. Thats generally a 55 gallon drum.

Bring from Iowa, I feel your pain. I'm in Lewisburg and have been searching for over a year for non-GMO feed. I've finally found 2 options. 1 is the aforementioned Taylor Farms.
The second is a company out of Alabama, but I think they tend towards larger loads. The pricing did say it had 50# bags, but the drive is further for you too.
We're planning a trip to Taylor's soon to check everything out. We needed to get out feed station all ready first.
We buy all of our chicken feed from Woodard's grocery in Lynchburg. I call in an order every other Monday and we pick it up on the same Weds. It's Tucker feed. We pay a little over $8 a 50# bag for layer pellets, under $8/bag for scratch, $9/bag for chick starter. They have non GMO multi species pellets and non GMO chick starter but I don't have the prices for those in front of me. Our animals do very well on Tucker feeds and I don't have to add oyster shell or any other supplement to my layer pellets. Woodards also has THE BEST home made pimento cheese! :)

Quote: $8 for layer????? Is it the 16% or the free range? OK... I buy a ton at a time... that might be worth my drive since Tuckers is what I use anyway. I get 22% layer, Free Range, Chick Starter and some corn too. I spend about 500-800 a trip! That is about $3 less a bag than what I am paying.

I hope you have good luck with them! Next trip I might want more buckets and we can do some trading again.

Well... Weather.com reported that today's high would be 68. Actual high is 120 in direct sunlight, 140 in winter housing. ARG! Several times today we opened doors on both ends of the house and added new water. Everyone is doing ok--but egg production is down. Assumably from the stress. The birds normally go through 15 gallons of water per day. Today, they're over 100 gallons. Good news is the fans seem to be working as does the additional water. Funny side note... I have a silver spangled hamburg that came as an "extra chick" from mcmurray. He's apparently now my top roo in the hallway. He's half the size of my dell roo's yet he's faster and more fierce. Normally he'd be on the list to go to freezer camp--but I find him entertaining. that could certainly extend his life. Besides, though he's not classed as a batam,, he is one. Not much meat there. But I do find it funny that the 3 pound roo can back down the 9 pound roo. I don't know what I'm going to do with him, but he gets to live for a while longer.

Well... Weather.com reported that today's high would be 68. Actual high is 120 in direct sunlight, 140 in winter housing. ARG! Several times today we opened doors on both ends of the house and added new water. Everyone is doing ok--but egg production is down. Assumably from the stress. The birds normally go through 15 gallons of water per day. Today, they're over 100 gallons. Good news is the fans seem to be working as does the additional water. Funny side note... I have a silver spangled hamburg that came as an "extra chick" from mcmurray. He's apparently now my top roo in the hallway. He's half the size of my dell roo's yet he's faster and more fierce. Normally he'd be on the list to go to freezer camp--but I find him entertaining. that could certainly extend his life. Besides, though he's not classed as a batam,, he is one. Not much meat there. But I do find it funny that the 3 pound roo can back down the 9 pound roo. I don't know what I'm going to do with him, but he gets to live for a while longer.
The news last night said it was going to be close to 80 today.... weather.com was WAY off.

@cree57i I did get your message and I will update it.

Anybody else want to be added to the breeders list for ALL of TN? Or have any updates???????????

Back
Top Bottom