The Middle Tennessee Thread

I never give heat and some of them even sleep outside in this cold! They all have somewhere to get in but alot of them prefer to just have the wind knocked off. I fully believe in the open housing concept. I 've only had frost bite once and that was due to the young roos all staying inside together,this produces moisture which freezes on the combs.

No heat, just plenty of food and water. And cover. My "chicken house" is a convterted kennel, I have tarps up on the west side, but didn't always, they seem to do fine, it is covered, but open on 2 sides, one being a not air tight tarp covering. They are eating more than they did before. I did have a guinea before in Missouri that froze to death one night up in a tree, but it was really cold that night, in the single digits and I was never able to get those guineas to go in the chicken house or barn. Once they start roosting in trees, its almost impossible to stop them!

No heat here either. Only the bitty babies in the brooder. Everyone is fine. Just frozen waterers
hmm.png

I only have a heat lamp with the babies - although they're almost 5 weeks old now - so I'm getting ready to boot them over to the grow-out pen soon.

The water has been frozen the past few mornings. I was at TSC this afternoon and they had a heated waterer for chickens. It was $49, though. So I'll go back to breaking the ice with a hammer and/or putting one of those little hand-warmer packets under the waterer first thing in the morning.

Nice to hear everyone is handling the cold well. I've been using a heated dog bowl for their water and it works great. I did get a flat panel heater for the coop for the crazy cold nights, sounds like its probably unnecessary, but it just seems so miserable out there.

Quote:
It is to us.... I have some young pullets that have not figured out the coop thing yet. We put them all in the coop the night is was going to be 17* they were all nice and toasty warm all huddle together in a corner. They have those insulating feathers for a reason. I kinda quit worrying after I saw how warm they were.

We lost one to the cold..a big healthy roo found him with his head in his wing sleeping but the darn thing didn't wake up.We also have some frostbite with a few roos.It gets pretty cold up on the hill and with the river sitting just a few yards away lots of moist air.
Now,my buns are in the Bahamas...60 degrees never felt so nice as it has the past few mornings walking in there. 3 new buns this morning and 2 very miserable doe's that should be having some any time.
I'm going to have to re-schedule our cookie get together..I can't get away from my table sale obligations to go anywhere.I have 6 to 8 hours each weekend day all through the sale time.I can deliver during the week or after I get back from Dalton on any Sunday..all Sat's in March are rabbit shows
Still taking cookie orders..I know we have more sweet tooth's than what we have on our list in this group
big_smile.png

Got heat on all my birds here. (see my pages for details) I don't have large flocks to all huddle together. . . just a few handfuls of birds here these days. . .

Donna you said on the Marans thread that you had neighbors to take care of your excess roos - Do they butcher for you - buy from you - or do you give them away? I really need an outlet for my roos

Back
Top Bottom