The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

At the end of the breeding season I am going to break down and buy 2 incubators... Suggestions?

This year we have neglected out Turkeys.. I only pulled eggs once because some of our hens went brooding and about took my eggs out when I tried.. they haven't hatched thing.. So next year I am pulling them. The ones I did pull didn;t hatch with the little styrofome incuabtors I have so I want a reliable one that will keep the humidy and tempature good. I kept them checked twice a day and they all died before hand...

I need something that I can put Turkey, Quail, Pheasant and ducks eggs of all sizes in and geese if they start to lay. I know the ornametnal fall need to be set on for about two weeks by a bird but then I am going to pull them... I didn;t have any luck with chickens and all but 2 of my ducks that I have hatched came from letting the hens set on them..

suggestings? Looking at the Sportmans 1502..

Quote:
i am jealous.... our bahama ony hatched our regulars
sad.png
but at least she hatched some this last in the year!! 6 babies for me.. and more marbled teal... and more ring teal! Geez... enough with the ring teal.... trying to get my hands on some blonde ring teal!

thumbsup.gif
I'm not sure how she had the silver, i guess its either she is split and my silver mated with her or my silver hen decided she was going to lay a single egg.
idunno.gif

Quote:
the sportsmans are good thats for sure, used them a lot.

If you are using the styrofoam ones, you have to use the HovaBators, all the other ones ar junk. A hova will hatch a rock though I believe.

on to the Polish swans
never seen any beyond cygnets.
Read up a bit on them this morning. The site I was on says they are supposed to a sex linked morph of the mute. Usually all random mutations first time would be hens in other words.
It did say that they grew into a total white bird though, total lack of pigment everywhere (basically albino sounding minus the eyes) says no black on face, pink legs etc.
Agian, this is just what I found on them, no adult pics of one and never seen one persoanlly out side of a few suspected cygnet pics.

Also said you can take the new hens back breed to the dad and usually get a 50 50 ratio of normal and polish mutes on both sexes the following time around???

okay
did a little more digging on the polish swan thing
seems everything from the above post is true except the no black on the face thing. Finally found a bunch of adult pics on the web of them.
They look like normal mutes, but still retain the pink legs and feet, not the dark slate color. So you should still be able to distinguish her as an adult.

I am a serious amateur photographer in addition to raising waterfowl and operating a taxidermy business. My experience has been that if you are worried about your images being stolen, it is best to not post them on the web. Those watermarks directly across the subject render the picture utterly worthless. You're better off posting nothing than something that looks that awful. My suggestion has been that if you want to add a watermark, that is great. Try to put it in a location that is close to your subject but so that it does not overlap your subject. A thief is always a thief, and you can never protect yourself fully. The watermark only serves to keep an honest person honest.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
i'm incubating and hatching with the 1502 right now and its awesome! its a huge step up from the styrofoam ones. you just put eggs of different sizes in the different size racks and put them in the incubator and forget about them. sure they don't get turned like they do when the hen does it or if you hand turn but it is so much easier and the temperature is controlled electronically and gives you readings of the: set temp., the current temp in the incubator, the outdoor temp., and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom