The Moonshiner's Leghorns

1012613-4ae2c17d7d90829cdf0d807f12a5ddd9.jpg
1012558-6d490cbc1d8fda5434e5f325d8d57047.jpg

Love the backlines and tails on your birds.
Thank you but you're going to see a lot that aren't so good.
It is hands done the biggest issue I've found. So many of the varieties I just can't find that don't have terrible lines and tail set.
I'm trying to improve them but when you don't even have one that is good its hard to get anywhere very fast.
Since you have the eye for it please don't be too hard on me when you see some that aren't good. lol. I'm trying.

Thanks for sharing Moonshiner, very good stock.

Have you seen a good line of Columbian Leghorns?
Actually have never saw any columbian leghorns ever. Neither columbian or buff columbian.
Have you?
I have what's needed to make them though.
I've got a plan for some other things that should also produce buff Columbians but its one of those that will take a lot of hatches so don't expect to have any till probably year after next. Maybe
Plan on midway through or when I get buff columbian to bring in silver to get the Columbians also.

I have a lot of pics I'm trying to get through and BYC isn't cooperating so I'll try to take a minute to catch up.
First Thank you to everyone for the nice comments. Sorry I can't thank everyone one at a time.
Breeding any RC Leghorns? I had some RC dark brown LH several years ago. Their genes are still present in my flock's gene pool. Nice birds. What other color variations does the RC come in??
I think I'm down to just a couple dk brown hens with rose combs. I had a few different varieties but decided I couldn't do all the colors in both single and rose so getting away from them.
Approved rose comb varieties are..Dark Brown, Light Brown, White, Black, Buff, Silver.
Absolutely gorgeous! :love
I want some!
If you don’t mind my asking what colors are you working on?
Lol
Honestly it's hard to say. Some I have. Some I have the combination needed just gotta get some to hatch. Some are in my head but not there yet.
I'd guess all told 40 or so. Probably more.
:love:love:love:love
If you don’t mind me asking, which color are they? They are really pretty!!
Isabel. They're brown leghorns with lavender added.

Beautiful birds (especially the silver partridge. I've a weakness for that color) but I'm curious...how are they with egg production? I'm assuming egg production's not your focus.
I don't have what I think of as silver partridge.
Guessing you're talking about what I see as silver duckwing?
I made those myself by crossing cuckoo with brown leghorns.
I do focus on egg laying but color/patterns is what I enjoy.
In the end though I believe color doesn't really matter if it doesn't look leghorn or lay like a leghorn.
I can't compete with a production white but they do alright. You'll find most less available colors lay very poorly. Some of the unusual ones like mille fleur even lay tinted eggs instead of white.
I work to improve production, size and shade if they're off.
I think I have 6 silver duckwing and one blue hens in my breeding pen and get about 5 eggs a day.
Some varieties I get around 50% each day.
I know not the best but I'm working on it.

Back
Top Bottom