The Moonshiner's Leghorns

@The Moonshiner
How soon can you select your breeding stock in your grow out pens?Roos and hens?
In other words at what age do chickens usually show what they're going to eventually look like when they become adults- or-do you have to wait until they're adults to pick your stock?

giphy (1).gif

Last edited:
So far pretty good. Theyre still pretty young so can't tell a lot. And still in that mostly two tone stage mottled birds start in so can't even judge their pattern yet.
Besides all that though I'm still impressed and was just admiring them yesterday. Ive got Exchequers before from a few sources and theyve always been kinda small and not the best to thrive. These have done really well and are growing to match the chicks I hatched and have had with them.
I think Meyers did good by them.
Time will tell ive read reviews of them being smaller as adults and not laying well but for now I'm gonna say theyre defiantly keepers.
I may try to grab a couple pics at the end of the week when its brooder bumping time.
Thanks for asking.
Side note I'm starting my cuckoo exchequer project again. Ive got a cuckoo rooster over an exchequer hen so this season I'll get cuckoo split to exchequer only but the first eggs are in and I think I have a couple due to hatch in 3 days.

@ The Moonshiner
Please...
@The Moonshiner
How soon can you select your breeding stock in your grow out pens?Roos and hens?
In other words at what age do chickens usually show what they're going to eventually look like when they become adults- or-do you have to wait until they're adults to pick your stock?

View attachment 2275071

@MIAMI LEGHORN
There's a behind the scenes look.
Youre gonna have to give me a few. I'm at work so my next break.
It takes time to answer you at times because mostly you're questions require some thought and I can't just throw out a one line answer.
Too funny dude.

Back
Top Bottom