The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I'm holding judgment till spring. I know there's some with shank color issues. Few look way to pale and few have white.
Waiting for adult pattern. They do seem to be getting more toward the proper pattern. Combs are small but they're not POL yet so there's hope. Still not old enough to know exactly how close to type they'll be. Not expecting.stellar there.
I traded my Exchequer Leghorn hen for 6 cockerels and cocks. She now lives on a 100+ acre farm. She was a sweet bird, the only thing I was unhappy with was: late to lay, low egg production, small eggs, and she would sing the egg song 3 times before actually laying.

I traded my Exchequer Leghorn hen for 6 cockerels and cocks. She now lives on a 100+ acre farm. She was a sweet bird, the only thing I was unhappy with was: late to lay, low egg production, small eggs, and she would sing the egg song 3 times before actually laying.
Well a pretty lady has a pretty voice. What colors were the males you got for her?

Ya those egg issues are the norm for exchequer.
Lol how's 3 egg songs compare to 6 males noises?

What breeding approach would result in the least amount of cringing? Lol
I'm beginning my trip down this road and would really appreciate your opinion.
Breed Isabella to browns producing splits. Then breed splits together. Keep lavender offspring and repeat.

Breed Isabella to browns producing splits. Then breed splits together. Keep lavender offspring and repeat.

Sounds like a good plan, simple enough. I will be breeding by it for sure!

How many gens should one expect before you start getting past fray and wingpatch issues? Does that depend on the quality of the original stock?

How many gens should one expect before you start getting past fray and wingpatch issues? Does that depend on the quality of the original stock?
I'd imagine that depends on how hard you cull for it. Obviously using birds that show it will increase the time

I started with Isabella that had it. I believe it was four generations when I got over.the hump.
It all depends on how hard you work at it, how many breeders you use and amount of chicks you hatch. Luck also plays a part. In my theory it could be eliminated in 2 generations of breeding.

Back
Top Bottom