The Moonshiner's Leghorns

yes agreed

and blue mottled is even better than black mottled ;)

this little fave is broody again
Love her!

My last chook is blue mottled. I love her, but I just love the contrast of the white against black.

I mean look at this ball of perfection. Be careful not to gaze at her too long. Your eyes may start to hurt from taking in all of her amazingness at once.
4445404_orig.jpg

This is very true.
I was very young when I got serious about poultry so not only was I less experienced I was a kid.
I was breeding for show birds and everyone said you have to get a mentor. I sought out anyone that would share their knowledge. I never had a serious mentor but had a few people that was glad to give guidance.
I don't think anyone wanted to give much time to a kid. I mean how serious could a kid be and how long would they stay vested?
I did learn some stuff and picked up pieces here and there and anywhere I could.
At the time I did know sometimes I was treated as a dumb kid but sometimes I didn't feel that way so I kept putting one foot in front of the other and kept showing up to all things poultry related.
Years later I figured out something about mentors. More often then not it's not about you thinking for yourself or asking questions or really learning. It's more about someone putting their beliefs or their way of thinking onto you.
It's about their ego. Their superiority about the subject. If you play clueless and treat them like they're all knowing they will talk your ear off.
If you show you think for yourself and question things the conversation dies in a hurry.
Of course everyone isn't that way but a lot are. Too many.
Your comment was dead on. The backyard chicken movement may be booming but the poultry show world has died out drastically in the last several decades and breeding with a purpose or goals has to.
Someone needs to pass the torch to younger generations or get them excited about something.
I've always said I'm not doing anything anyone else couldn't do. And I'm not doing anything that can't be done with other breeds.
That's always been the idea behind this thread.
I started it without knowing if it would even interest anyone but hoped every now and again someone would see it and say that's really cool I didn't know you could do stuff like this. Maybe encourage them to try a project or get into genetics a little.
D@mn that was deep. I better end this here and go be stupid somewhere.
I love that you’re so knowledgeable not just about Leghorns but about genetics in general and very kind too. I really appreciated you helping me figure out the colors on the first hatch from my own flock and why they ended up black lol since then, it’s grown even more and I’m now on the third (maybe technically second ?) generation and have gotten even crazier colors from their offspring! No clue why but it’s been so fun to experiment and speculate. I think you kinda got me started on that and hooked trying to see what colors and traits I could get or whatever. It started out as I just had a broody hen and figured I’d hatch some of my rooster’s kids since I really liked him and then it kind of evolved into trying to figure out the actual genetics behind it all, thanks to you. :love

In terms of Mottled, I think every Leghorn enthusiast should have them in
Black Mottled
Black and White Mottled
Red Mottled.
Blue Mottled
Lavender Mottled
i was gonna respond negatively to this then realized I could prove a point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom