The Moonshiner's Leghorns

I read as a child that there was a time that Passenger Pigeons would cover the sky when flying overhead.
This was not directed at me, but yes, I heard they were an amazing sight. There were so many, that when they flew over towns, they completely blocked out the sun. They nested in huge flocks in forests, and they filled the trees with their nests.
It's amazing to think that an animal that was once so plentiful, could be completely wiped out in a relatively short amount of time.

This was not directed at me, but yes, I heard they were an amazing sight. There were so many, that when they flew over towns, they completely blocked out the sun. They nested in huge flocks in forests, and they filled the trees with their nests.
It's amazing to think that an animal that was once so plentiful, could be completely wiped out in a relatively short amount of time.
😔

“Men still live who, in their youth, remember (passenger) pigeons."

@Amer
I read as a child that there was a time that Passenger Pigeons would cover the sky when flying overhead.
I went to a parking lot chicken swap one day. There was an older lady with some pigeons. My daughter liked pigeons but I wasn't interested in them just looking. The swap was about over and the lady tried to bargain me into buying some. I firmly said no so at that time she said well I don't want to take them home and I watched as she opened the cage and they all quickly flew away.
I was like WTF? If I knew she was just gonna turn them loose. Oh well I went on my way.
2 or 3 weeks later I went by a different swap at a different location. There she was with those same pigeons in the same cage. Now I was really like WTF. I had to ask.
She LOL and said I do that at every swap and they always beat me back to the house.
Too funny.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

I am shocked and appalled. That was gruesome to read. My words have now failed me. I can't.
Disgusted No Way GIF by Schitt's Creek

“Men still live who, in their youth, remember (passenger) pigeons."

@Amer
I believe there is a Passenger Pigeon revification project at the time. Garrie Landry, one of the more prominent US aviculturists who works with many species of doves and pigeons had something about it on his website.

Project Passenger Pigeon
Because humanity is, whether we like to admit it or not, cancer upon the earth. We are one of the only species with the capacity to perceive the world around us in the manner we do and yet still make the conscious effort to not give a damn and destroy it.
1634741357588.png
1634741375728.png

1634741419994.png
1634741480319.png

1634741514057.png
1634741549518.png

Watch the Our Planet series on Youtube or Netflix. Some of it can really turn your stomach when you think about how much we've changed the world around us.
I went to a parking lot chicken swap one day. There was an older lady with some pigeons. My daughter liked pigeons but I wasn't interested in them just looking. The swap was about over and the lady tried to bargain me into buying some. I firmly said no so at that time she said well I don't want to take them home and I watched as she opened the cage and they all quickly flew away.
I was like WTF? If I knew she was just gonna turn them loose. Oh well I went on my way.
2 or 3 weeks later I went by a different swap at a different location. There she was with those same pigeons in the same cage. Now I was really like WTF. I had to ask.
She LOL and said I do that at every swap and they always beat me back to the house.
Too funny.
Well, that ended better than I thought. For a minute I thought she was scamming people with the homing birds so they'd fly home and she could resell them. lol

I believe there is a Passenger Pigeon revification project at the time. Garrie Landry, one of the more prominent US aviculturists who works with many species of doves and pigeons had something about it on his website.

Project Passenger Pigeon
yeah there is.

I also read that there is a grassroots movement to bring back the Cuban Macaw.

That's cool! I follow the Quagga and the Aurochs ones on Facebook.
The colors for the Cuban are easy to come up with because I've seen some hybrids out there that come close... the trick is getting that faded yellow on the nape every time; and macaws for the most part do not exibit sexual dichromatism. So it should show be on both birds.

The colors for the Cuban are easy to come up with because I've seen some hybrids out there that come close... the trick is getting that faded yellow on the nape every time; and macaws for the most part do not exibit sexual dichromatism. So it should show be on both birds.
For a minute I forgot you were a parrot nerd. lol Are Cubans one of the extinct "blue Macaws" of which the Hyacinth and Spix are the only surviving members? Or is it something else?

Back
Top Bottom